• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter 16 March (Double Shadow Transit)

Started by MarkS, Mar 17, 2014, 00:02:01

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Looks like a bit of detail showing on Ganymede.

Yes, the dark and light areas on Ganymede are just beginning to show now and they're genuine.  I've compared with similar images from folk who did much better than me on the same night.

JohnP

looks excellent Mark... Can you get rid of the ring artifacts down the RHS & I'd give it 10/10.... John

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
looks excellent Mark... Can you get rid of the ring artifacts down the RHS & I'd give it 10/10.... John

Those ring (or bacon rind) artifacts are a common problem.  I think they are an artifact of the wavelets rather than a misregistration of video frames (we had the same discussion on Fay's recent image).  Lots of Jupiter images have them and others have edges very obviously blurred, which also looks really wrong.

I think the solution may be to produce 2 images:  one where wavelet decon is applied just up the point where the bacon rind has not yet started to appear and then another image where "full strength" wavelets is applied but which has bacon rind.  The two images can then be judiciously layered together to obtain the best of both.

Then you can give me 10/10 ;)

MarkS

For John's benefit then, here is the final version on the right (or underneath), without bacon rind.

Nearly as many sequels as Rocky!

Mark