• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hickson 44 in Leo

Started by Fay, May 01, 2009, 19:32:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

This is not very rivetting. It would be better with a longer FL scope.
These are 4 gravitationally bound galaxies which is why 2 are distorted. NGC 3190 is an edge on spiral whe 2 supernovae were found in 2002. NGC 3187 has a strong central bar & distorted arms from a previous encounter. The other 2 are ellipticals. This group is 60 mill ly away.

I took 30x300s, ED80, 0.8 fr, Atik 314L. I did only L, 40 flats, no darks, bias or flat darks. Bit of an experiment but I do have trouble, so will probably go back to how I have always imaged, with darks & flat darks.

I thought it would be better because of the amount of subs & it was a very clear night

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Daniel

Oooh, nice image Fay, always great to see something that's not usually imaged, and I love the little Barred Spiral in there!

Daniel
:O)

Fay

Thanks Daniel. It would be nice with a DSLR & longer FL. I will try & have another go, perhaps , when I get the Orion. I can't see a lot of value for my bucks in this one!

RobertM

It's come out very well, your guiding is spot on and there's lots of faint galaxies showing, very nice.

Fay