• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Chrome browser broken

Started by mickw, Oct 09, 2014, 12:52:27

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Chrome has suddenly stopped working and keeps crashing on loading under W7.

Had to reinstate IE to get internet access - managed to pick up over 200 bits of malware along the way  :!

Uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome twice and ran CCleaner and Malwarebytes between each.

I think there was a windoze update overnight

Am stuck with this POS IE at the moment and am not a happy bunny - any suggestions ?

Could be something Fay did - You know what she's like with Google  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rick

It's not just on Windows. Chrome's been decidedly fishy on other platforms of late, too...

mickw

It's working on an older XP laptop (which keeps overheating) so it could just be under W7

Carole

Mike

I've not noticed anything with Chrome lately and I use it all the time in and out of work.

Stop installing extensions, they are usually the culprits.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Sure, extensions are often a problem. Use as few as possible. However, today I had Chrome on Mac do stupid things with the new Google Maps; things that worked fine on Safari and Firefox. 'Course, that could be Google Maps being daft.

Android Chrome, OTOH, has no extensions, is running on a Google phone, and is the flakiest crashiest app I use...

Is Google the new Microsoft, I wonder?

mickw

I get the feeling that Microsoft is trying to destroy google.

Installed a couple of extensions a few months ago with no ill effects and everything was OK until today and the windows updates.

I've done a few System Restore things to different dates with no success and am getting tempted to ditch W7 and revert to XP.

Mike

I've got Chrome on my Android phone, Android tablet(s), My PC and all my laptops and have yet to have any issue I could think of to date.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Count yourself lucky, then. ;)

mickw

Quote from: Mike on Oct 09, 2014, 19:12:15
I've got Chrome on my Android phone, Android tablet(s), My PC and all my laptops and have yet to have any issue I could think of to date.

I hate you  :-?

Been using Chrome for ages now and this the first time I've had any problems with it - Getting really pissed off  :!

Fay

well i am still getting my white screens. i thought I had cured it. have to turn off and hope i can get in ok when restarted. i also had to use explorer to get into internet. i have looked at loads of posts online regarding this. i wish people would delete their 2011 questions and answers!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

So it was you that broke it  :twisted:

There are possible solutions here
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-1625955/chrome-working-windows-updates.html

I've yet to try any yet and don't want to spend another day trying to sort it out

Fay

cant read the properly Mick as the left hand ads are over the writing
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Sorry I had that in IE so had a look using Chrome on another laptop which is OK

Mac