• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

eyepieces

Started by MarkH, Sep 24, 2014, 21:00:31

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkH

Can I have some opinions here. If you were to spend £200 on a 1 1/4 " eyepiece say between 15 -28 mm or near, as wide as possible, what would people recommend from experience.

RobertM

That's expensive for a 1 1/4 inch eyepiece.

Check out www.excelsis.com for ratings plus also Cloudynights.

I think your best bet is likely to be a secondhand panoptic or something similar, even so they will probably have a 2" barrel or both like my Meade 14 UWA.

Hope that helps
Robert

The Thing

i've never spent more than £100 on an eyepiece, some of the cheaper 1.25s (£30ish) are excellent.

Hugh

Try looking at the Tele Vue Delos range ~ 72 degrees apparent field ~ 20mm eye relief.  But may be only a 17.5mm within your size range.

It will push your price to around £250 but I think worth it.  I have a 10mm which you are welcome to try if you want.  Jim has tried it and thinks it great.

If you can wait, you can get a good discount at Astrofest.  I even got the box signed by Al Nagler, which makes just the box worth about £10!

Hugh

MarkH

Thank you all guys, that is all very helpful. Hugh I think your suggestion is what I'm looking for.