• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

SX Camera sent back again !

Started by RobertM, Sep 24, 2014, 18:56:08

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Well my imaging saga continues.  After having the Ferrari scope checked by an optical engineer and now in perfect collimation I still have problems...  I can only get the H694 camera in focus in three corners - work that one out !  I also tried the scope with a DSLR and the stars were good across the frame.

At first I thought it was filters but they are now ruled out as I removed them and no difference.  Next was to adjust the camera focal plane again and, whilst two opposing corners remain in focus the two on the other diagonal are somewhat different.  I can adjust the focal plane so that either one is in focus but not the two together.   My reckoning is that the chip is either not flat or warped in some way.  Oh and the internal fan has stopped working too.  Just as well they are UK based otherwise it would have cost me more in sendings back than the camera cost !

Ok rant over.  I'm just angry now !

Robert

The Thing

Good thing you hadn't lugged it to Kelling then.

RobertM

MarkS

So the stars look good on a DSLR sensor but you get weirdness on the (much) smaller H694 sensor?

3 out of 4 corners - that really is bizarre.  What an ongoing nightmare  :evil: 
At least September means you don't have to wait until midnight for it to be dark enough to perform testing.

Mark

RobertM

I've done enough testing - I want to use the damn thing !