• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Serial Bus Adaptor

Started by Fay, Oct 13, 2007, 14:05:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

If I use a Serial Bus Adaptor, say I plugged the EOS, which usually uses port 4, & a mouse will it still select this port & will the mouse select an unused one?

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

If you are saying that you are going to connect an adapter to the serial port on the PC, then connect the EOS and mouse to it, they should work.
But did you have to install any software or drivers for the adapter ?  The software may have assigned  the adapter as port 4 - The mouse should work anyway regardless.
I would be inclined to attach the EOS first so it grabs the port it wants, then let the other things fight amongst themselves.
Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Yes Mick, there was software. I think that is the best idea, to attach, say, the EOS first. I have not got the mouse yet, it is on it's way, for the laptop, so it has not grabbed a port!
Will you be in the garden tonight, imaging, Mick?

I will be out there, I have set up already as if I leave it too late, I won't bother.

Fay

mickw

Morning Fay,
Actually, any USB device "should" just work by plugging it in. The PC should just recognise it and use the appropriate driver no matter what port it's on.
Where it gets complicated is if you are using software that assigns equipment to a specific port as in guiding software looking for a scope on say port 3.  If it's possible in software menu, try to let the software "select port automatically" - that way you should be able to plug anything into anything (not too sure about parallel/serial ports though).
Not in "my" garden last night, went to "Ashdown" to try and pick up some tips from the pros. 
My experiences with imaging are limited to pointing an SLR at the sky and taking snaps or reading about it  :)
Mick

Fay

How did you all get on? Was the sky good?

The sky was rubbish here. Metcheck had predicted 3% - 8% cloud , what they should have said was 100% cloud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not too happy, but will go out again tonight.

Fay

mickw

Started cloudy but soon cleared after dark, although some moisture in the air.
Pretty clear skies, clear enough for the experienced to do some imaging anyway - I'm sure there will soon be some more info coming along about that once processing is done.
Saw a few satellites, one nice flare and a couple meteors - oh, and some bats  :-?
Then the fog came in................ :(
But all in all, I think a good time was had by all, I certainly enjoyed myself.
Mick

Fay

What time did it clear?

mickw

About 7 to 7:30 I think, I lost track of time pretty quickly though.
Fog started coming in about 9

Mike

Well we were up till 5am so that's how good it was !   :D
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Great - so are there some images..... :-) John