• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Vdb 126 in Vulpecula

Started by MarkS, Aug 01, 2014, 22:24:41

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

An unusual object this time:  vdb 126 in Vulpecula
A packed area of the Milky Way with a distinct dark lane and a small amount of reflection nebulosity.

Modified Canon 350D on Tak Epsilon 180ED with IDAS P2 light pollution filter. 6 hours of 5 minute subs at ISO 800.  Taken on Wed and Thurs nights 30 & 31 July.

Larger version here:  
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2014/vdb126_31072014.jpg

Mark

JohnP

Nice Mark - Guessing that was a tough one to process - John

Fay

Makes a nice change Mark.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
Nice Mark - Guessing that was a tough one to process - John

Yes, it was tough to process and I'm not certain I've made the best of it.  It ideally needs a few more hours of data. 

Mike

Really nice Mark. Unusual subject.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

That's lovely Mark, only the large version does it justice though.  Yes a tough process but then it was well worth the effort !

Robert

MarkS

I now have over 15 hours of data for this.  Time for a re-process!

Mark

MarkS

So here is the final result - 13 hours of total integration time.

The extra exposures gave me the headroom to get the final image as I wanted it - with better colour balance and more subtle variations in the dark lanes.  

See what you think:

Bigger image here:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2014/vdb126v2.jpg

Mark

Mac

Looking good,

I do see hints of the loch ness monster though,
Head top right of the dust lane, going down the neck to the body.

;)

Mac.

Carole

Funnily enough Olly Penrice has posted the same image this week on other forums and he describes it as a running brontosaurus.  Never seen this object before and then twice in one week.

Carole

RobertM

Quote from: Carole on Aug 07, 2014, 00:42:53
Funnily enough Olly Penrice has posted the same image this week on other forums and he describes it as a running brontosaurus.  Never seen this object before and then twice in one week.

Carole

I would think he's been at the beer again :roll:

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Funnily enough Olly Penrice has posted the same image this week ...

Interesting - I'll look out for it. Come to think of it, it does slightly resemble a Brontosaurus!

The Thing

The other way round its a dog chasing stars.

MarkS

Version 3 brightens up the whole image, improves the colour balance and removes a residual blue gradient along the bottom edge.

http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2014/vdb126v3.jpg

Mark

Carole

Looks great Mark, but better watch out for the "not allowed to improve your image and reprocess it" brigade.

Personally I don't know why they think it's a problem and shows new imagers how the same image can be improved which helps them learn. 

Carole