• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hello, O.A.S...

Started by Canadian Roger, Aug 01, 2014, 15:26:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian Roger

My daughter moved to Bromley in January, and I hope I'll be able to visit her occasionally.

When I do, I'd like to drop by your meetings, and thought that the friendly thing to do was to familiarize myself with your group beforehand. 

I've had a life-long passion for astronomy since before my parents bought my first telescope in Liverpool for me in 1965.  I still have this 4" reflector, although it has been superseded as my main optics.  I've had a '70's-vintage C8, and I now own a 12" SCT, as well as a 6" Ritchey-Chretien, various pairs of binoculars, several eyepieces, filters, and a couple of EQ4's I'm trying to "frankenstein" into a single, useable, mount for doing public outreach.

The 12" SCT is normally found in my own observatory and I currently enjoy dabbling in astrophotography with my 12" SCT and a modified Canon 500d.

Oh, and I've been a member of my local astronomy club since 1970, with only a couple of years off while attending University.

Rick

Hiya, and thanks for the introduction. You should now be able to post elsewere in the forum.

Canadian Roger

Google suggests that I take the bus from my daughters place near Eden Park train station, but it will take almost an hour to do so.

Would anyone know the approximate cost of a taxi for the 15 minute trip? 

Thanks.

Carole

Try ringing Canon cars, we use them regularly and just ask them. 

Carole

Canadian Roger

That looks perfect...thanks, Carole.

Rick

...also, a taxi/mini-cb would be able to bring you right to High Elms, wheras the bus (the 358, IIRC?) is likely to leave you in Farnborough Village...

Carole

Sorry forgot to give Canon cars number
0208 777 8888

Carole

Canadian Roger

My local astronomy club turns into a gastronomy club after a meeting, with a trip to a local watering hole for a pint and a bite to eat.

Does O.A.S. do anything similar?

Mike

Oh yes of course !!!   :D   :beer:
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Canadian Roger

Excellent!

I asked because I gave a talk to the Kingston Centre of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada some years ago and they get together before their meetings.  This actually worked out well for me as I had a 300km drive home afterwards.

Most groups I've talked to or visited, though, get together afterwards.

Miriam

Hello Roger
Good to meet you yesterday. Hope you enjoyed the meeting.
You left the raffle prize in our car!

Carole

Yes nice to put a face to a name.  Hope you enjoyed your first evening with us, especially winning the raffle prize first time!!

Carole

Canadian Roger

I had a very nice time at the meeting, Carole, and while it was great to have won the raffle prize, I left it in Miriam's car!

I gather O.A.S. has a library, and I hope you'll accept the prize as a donation to it.  Failing that, draw two tickets next month!

I'm the editor of the Hamilton Centre's newsletter, called "Orbit", and I'll be putting some of my thoughts about your meeting in it.  Orbit is available to all to read and can be found at: http://www.hamiltonrasc.ca/orbit-newsletter/ .  It's published 10 times a year, only taking off July and August.  Normally, it's ready for our meetings on the first Thursday of every month (except July and August).  Although for some reason the June, 2014 issue is missing.