• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

carry case

Started by ApophisAstros, Jul 30, 2014, 07:53:31

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

Just wondering if anyone knows where to get a carry case for a skywatcher 1145 newtonion scope at a reasonable price, or as I suspect I will have to 'cowboy' one up myself
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Mike

You can buy the official Skywatcher cases but they cost a fortune. Speak to Bern at Modern Astronomy, he can source one for you.

Alternatively try Alibaba or Dealextreme.

If not, good old eBay or Amazon will do.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

My Meade came from the US of A in a cardboard box filled with expanding foam in a plastic bag (one top, one bottom). That lasted ages. I never use a case for my Meade for travel, I've had it since 2006 and always carry it on the car seat either in the front strapped in with a coat over it or on the back seat wedged with coats or whatever when going to a DSC. The car has padding and suspension.

If you really want one size up plastic storage boxes and get some closed-cell foam. A lot of people use plywood to make a suitable box. Tons of ideas on the web.

Mike

Plenty of places you can get free pallets too and if you've got access to a planer and table saw you can make some really nice wooden boxes out of those.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkH

I back up Duncans point  and go for expanded polystyrene.

ApophisAstros

Quote from: MarkH on Jul 30, 2014, 21:33:55
Is that a double entendre?
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Kenny

Quote from: MarkH on Jul 30, 2014, 21:33:55

What is expanded polystyrene?