• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Problem OIII subs from Running Rivers, a big Sadr

Started by Fay, Jul 27, 2014, 21:47:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

well it does look like dew was the problem. i used dew strips, and the lens looked clear. could it have reached the filters, if so, not had that before.

15x480 Leitz 180mm, QSI OIII filter

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

I had the same problem on my Oiii filter after I had dried out the aperture of the scope which was still clear - blown out stars and a big halo (where yours is).  In my case I was also using dew strips but a new dew controller that has worked well at home, but it was the first time I had used it in the field, and I think I probably didn't have it turned up high enough.

I have never known it so damp and I am sure it had penetrated onto the filters, again as you say never had that before, it was an exceptionally damp night. 

Carole

Fay

Carole

Quotei had my dew strips at 75, so high
Well it can't be because I didn't have them turned high enough then. 

I have never ever had a problem with dew using dew heaters before, I think it was a really exceptionally damp night.

Carole

mickw

If you assemble everything in a humid/damp atmosphere, as soon as you cool the camera, any moisture will start condensing.

I think Starlight Express get round this by using an attachment with silica-gel to absorb any moisture - your camera makers might have similar.

You could try using a hair dryer to warm everything up slightly before assembly.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Also keeping it in a warm place and then taking it out into the cold is a disaster.

Always try and keep your kit at ambient temperature. Never store it indoors if at all possible. Keep it in a shed or observatory. When camping keep it in your car, not inside your tent.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

QuoteWhen camping keep it in your car, not inside your tent.

Hmmmmm, Cars get VERY VERY Hot, but at least its a dry heat,
The tents probably a cooler place, and will also cool down quicker then your car.
It's a no win situation.

One other tip, when taking equipment from outside to inside, i.e. cold to warm, put them in a bag outside and seal it,
that way any condensation will normally form on the outside of the bag and not inside.
Once they have warmed up remove from the bag.

Another tip i found is if you have some thing that is very wet, sticking in in the oven at about 40-50 deg normally dries it out.

Mac.

RobertM

Quote from: mickw on Jul 28, 2014, 09:41:11
I think Starlight Express get round this by using an attachment with silica-gel to absorb any moisture - your camera makers might have similar.

Nope, they have not caught up on dessicants yet... :(

You could always put a low temperature dew band around the camera attachment, something like those designed for eyepieces.

Robert

Mike

Quote from: Mac on Jul 28, 2014, 11:09:18
Hmmmmm, Cars get VERY VERY Hot, but at least its a dry heat,

Yeah, loads of moisture inside tents. Cars do get hot but they also cool down very quickly.

Mick I think you mean the QHY cameras. I know mine has a desiccant tube.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

QuoteMick I think you mean the QHY cameras. I know mine has a desiccant tube.

Oops you're right, I forgot QHY

Rocket Pooch

Carole

Set up earlier in the day, hours before it got cold and damp.

Carole

MarkS

From the image it is clear that the central area of one of the optical components very close to the CCD has misted up (because the stars outside this area are unaffected).  So it's either moisture condensing on the optical window of the camera itself or on a filter.

Fay

I will open it up and see if there is any evidence after the event, today, Mark

It says 500 temp, i assume that is F and =260 C. My oven only goes up to 200

Mac

So long as its above 100C the water will be driven off, but 500F for 5 hours, Thats a long time.

I would stick the pack in the oven and fill a baking tray with a lot of water.

stick it in on 200 and keep checking back

once the water in the tray has gone, you know the small amount of water in your pack has also gone.

Mac.

Fay

well there was no sign of anything untoward on the chip or filters, so will abandon the plan to put the desiccant in the oven, for now

mickw

Because you can't see any moisture in the warm and daylight does not mean it isn't there.  Connect up the camera with the lens and filters then turn on the camera cooling and run it through a sequence for about 1/2 hour or so, then shut it down and take the lens off before it all warms up again.  If there is any moisture inside, it should have condensed on the filter or lens - I do mean to do this in daylight

Fay

i did that this morning, but am going to dry it out tonight

Fay

i am outside and it is extremely damp. i have already got that big damp circle inn the middle of the ccs. drying the sessicant has not worked. any ideas anyone

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
i am outside and it is extremely damp. i have already got that big damp circle inn the middle of the ccs. drying the sessicant has not worked. any ideas anyone

ccs?
Would a hair dryer work?

Fay

i took the front off the camera and could see no sign of damp. put it together and started imaging again and it is ok now.

dont know what to say. it is not a scope problem.

if it happens again, i will do a test thru every filter and the blank space

Carole

Is this the replacement filter Fay?
I think you said you were exchanging it with the supplier.

Carole

Fay

No that was the OIII filter, was using HA.

. it was ok when i got going again, cant make out what it it was, but extra dampness seems to start it off.

Mike

Sounds like you've got a tiny amount of moisture trapped inside somewhere. Leave it inside a bag with desiccant inside your airing cupboard for a day or two.

Fay

mickw

Do you assemble the camera, filters and filter wheel at each session or just leave it set up ?

Do you assemble it indoors or outside ?

Fay

assembled each time. assembled outdoors in the day

mickw

Quote from: Fay on Aug 20, 2014, 10:40:00
assembled each time. assembled outdoors in the day

Any moisture in the air is likely to get on the filters and in the camera  :(

Couldn't you just set it up indoors in the warm and dry then leave it set up ?

I think you use astro art for capture, doesn't that remember filter positions or do you not have enough space for a full set and "none" ?

What do others do

Fay

i never leave my camera hanging around setup. it all goes back in its box.  yes aa know ws where the filters are and you need 8 positions to put all the filters in.

it was ok last night. not sure what causes it