• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Windows 8.

Started by Mac, Jul 08, 2014, 08:05:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Yes i hung on as long as I could, it has been a nightmare setting up the desktop, laptop was not so bad. i preferred XP, shame there is nothing the world can do, as Microsoft rules most of it!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

Quoteshame there is nothing the world can do

Of course there is, vote with your feet, and dont use microsoft's products.
Use Apple or Unix ect. its only a matter of time.

Or just stay with xp, if you search hard enough there are plenty of small programs out there that will help you  ;)
all you need is a copy of service pack 3, you dont need all the updates, Dont use internet explorer, and dont connect to the internet.
Strip out all of the junk you never need and you will end up with a fantastically fast and stable machine.
90% of all the services you never need.
If you need astronomy updates download them onto a memory stick and copy them over to your astro machine.

To be honest the only real update most people need is probably the iss and satellite data. What else is going to change.

Mac

Fay

what about all the new virus's etc?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

That's what anti - virus software is for. But if you're not connected to the internet, you're not going to get virus's.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

Fay, i was mainly on about astronomy machines,
which in my case is not connected to the internet.

but you can also download updates for antivirus software an install them via usb

But you will normally only get viruses in one of three ways,

1) Getting a direct infection by connecting directly to the internet or plugging in a compromised usb ect . (Use a firewall and anti virus).
2) Opening an infected message from someone. (Use an antivirus for this)
3) Connecting to a compromised page (phishing scam or similar) (Use an antivirus for this)

Mac.