• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Eastern Veil close up on IC1340

Started by Carole, Jul 04, 2014, 15:37:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Concentrated on the larger area of this nebula
Bicolour Ha, Oiii, Oiii
Atik314, Skywatcher ED120
9 x 1200secs each filter
NEQ6

I'd like to get more data but chance would be a fine thing.  Is it worth getting any Sii does any-one know?

original image deleted due to Robert's sharp eyes, and re-stacked and posted further down.  

RobertM

There's something wrong there Carole but the 20 min subs are quite impressive.  Why have you got that diagonal streaking - how did you calibrate those images ?

The Thing

Quote from: RobertM on Jul 04, 2014, 20:47:28
There's something wrong there Carole but the 20 min subs are quite impressive.  Why have you got that diagonal streaking - how did you calibrate those images ?
I get that in Deep Sky Stacker. Choosing something other than AHD debayering solves it usually.

Carole

QuoteWhy have you got that diagonal streaking - how did you calibrate those images ?
Didn't know what you were talking about at first, but I must confess I hadn't noticed that.  I've just checked the Ha and Oiii masters.  It's on the Oiii master but not on the Ha one, yet they were both stacked in exactly the same way. 

QuoteI get that in Deep Sky Stacker. Choosing something other than AHD debayering solves it usually.
:! :!
Gonna try Astroart, don't know why I didn't use it in the first place.

Carole

Carole

Re-stacked in Astroart, hope it's OK this time:

The Thing

That looks much better to me. Nice image. Will you do a mosaic to get it all?

Carole

Thanks Duncan
QuoteWill you do a mosaic to get it all?
I hadn't thought of doing so at the moment.  Maybe I might at a later date.  I also might see what Sii might yield.

I really got inspired to do this particular close up having spotted one on the internet and thought how lovely it looked as a crop. 

Carole

RobertM

Yes agreed, that's much better all round now :)

It would have been a shame not to make the best af all that good data given the trouble taken to collect it.

Robert

Carole

Thanks for spotting that Robert, I hadn't noticed it myself.

Carole

Carole

This is a bit closer to the colours I was trying to achieve:

MarkS

Lovely image Carole.

It makes an interesting comparison to my C11/Canon 550D image at a reasonably dark site (i.e. home):
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=9751.0

There is much more faint detail in your image.  Was this Bromley or somewhere darker?

In any case, clearly it's about time for me to invest in a mono-cooled camera and NB filters :)

Carole

Thank you Mark.

It was taken from home in Bromley. 
I think 20 minutes subs helped.

QuoteIn any case, clearly it's about time for me to invest in a mono-cooled camera and NB filters
I think you'll find it will make a lot of difference Mark.

Carole

RobertM

QuoteIn any case, clearly it's about time for me to invest in a mono-cooled camera and NB filters
I think you'll find it will make a lot of difference Mark.

Carole

[/quote]

There can be a substantial difference with dark skies for narrow band too.

Carole

QuoteThere can be a substantial difference with dark skies for narrow band too.
I know I've worked that out Robert as there have been some NB objects that have come out dreadful from home.

Carole