• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

EQMOD unexpected alignment points

Started by MarkS, May 19, 2014, 08:13:44

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

I've just wasted two potential imaging nights tracking down a problem in EQMOD.  My "Goto"s kept going to the wrong point in the sky - not hugely off position but certainly not within the imaging frame.

I also noticed that RA would jump around when slewing in Dec and vice versa.  Bizarre!  After swapping mounts, EQDIR leads and laptops I found the problem happened only on one laptop.

Closer investigation showed that 20 alignment points had accumulated and stored themselves in EQMOD between sessions without me being aware.   Once I cleared the alignment points, all worked fine.

So I need to check out my EQMOD settings - especially since this is the laptop I take out into the field - I don't want those temporary alignment points stored again!!  Any suggestions?

Mark

Mike

I always reset my alignment points before each session. Though for an observatory you should be able to use them again (unless they were from a different set-up?).
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

In theory, in an observatory, you would want to store the alignment points.  However, in practice I find that if I start imaging on the other side of the meridian, I need to release the clutches to rebalance the mount (East side heavy).  That immediately loses the alignment.

I just need to get into the habit of resetting alignment points.

The Thing

U
Quote from: MarkS on May 19, 2014, 08:38:14
In theory, in an observatory, you would want to store the alignment points.  However, in practice I find that if I start imaging on the other side of the meridian, I need to release the clutches to rebalance the mount (East side heavy).  That immediately loses the alignment.

I just need to get into the habit of resetting alignment points.

I use the Save on Park, Reload on Unpark options if I leave my scope up for any length of time. If I move the scope it's the second thing I check on boot up (clear all points and data and uncheck the options) after location.
I don't bother to rebalance the mount as the problem point is as it passes through the meridian and effectively becomes unweighted and 'bounces' on the worm which is usually only one sub wasted. Some people get round this by using a bungee to give a force in one direction regardless of orientation.

Carole

Mark, I think you can have more than one "site" saved on EQMOd, so you can save the alignment points for your obsy, and save a new set for when you are at DSC. 

Carole