• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M51 LRGB Final version

Started by Carole, Apr 30, 2014, 18:02:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Final version I promise.
After comments and personal dissatisfaction, this is the final version or I'll shoot myself  :boom:

mickw

I have a gun if you would like to borrow it  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Mike

Very nice Carole. It looks almost 3D.

Anybody know what has caused that bent spiral arm on the left? It looks like it has been snapped.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

It was a merger of two galaxies, a little while ago.

Mac.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Ivor

Looks great, I hope I can get a processing tutorial off you sometime.

Carole

Carole

Right I'm going to have to shoot myself (see above).

But as Mike says, seeing improvements to processing helps those learning to image.  

I suddenly had the idea of doing a bit of selective sharpening to the image above, which has brought out the detail a bit more.  Just wish i could think to do all these tweaks in the first place -  :bang:

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Mac

looks good, but.....
and there is always a but,

are the RGB layers correctly aligned?
The only reason im asking is if you look at the left hand side about 1/4 way up there are three stars in a triangle,
two white and a blue,
it appears that the two white ones are showing a tad of blue and red either side of them,
which could indicate that the layers are ever so slightly out of alignment?
then when you look at the other white stars some of them also show the same.

its being a little picky, but at the moment you are in the middle  of reprocessing,
thought you would enjoy the challenge,  ;)

Mac.

Carole

I can see what you mean Mac, not on the stars you mention but on one or two others.  I am trying to think back now.  I always register my filters/channels with Registar and if that can't do it I doubt anything else will.  I do recall having a bit of a problem with one of my images in the not too distant past and there was definitely one that was not aligning properly despite Registar.  I can't remember which image it was now. 

I'll take another look at it when I have time.  Off to a wedding soon.

I do find a bit of a problem when doing narrowband (but this wasn't narrowband) when the different filters produce different size stars.  Requiring some advanced processing techniques to get them not to show the colour of the one beneath. 

Carole

RobertM

That's an excellent image Carole but for the last final tweek I would have to agree with Mac about the registration.

PS: capture details, location etc ?

Robert

Carole

QuotePS: capture details, location etc ?
there were two threads on this image Robert and the details were on the original, but I'll repeat them again:

Taken from Cairds Campsite, East Sussex 26-4-14
Atik314L & ED120 on NEQ6
900 x 4 & 600 x 4 luminance
RGB 6 x 300secs each binned x 2
Stacked in Astroart and processed in Photoshop

Carole

JohnP

Looks excellent to me - all that reprocessing is paying off ;-) John

RobertM

Quote from: Carole on Jul 06, 2014, 20:18:37
QuotePS: capture details, location etc ?
there were two threads on this image Robert and the details were on the original, but I'll repeat them again:

Taken from Cairds Campsite, East Sussex 26-4-14
Atik314L & ED120 on NEQ6
900 x 4 & 600 x 4 luminance
RGB 6 x 300secs each binned x 2
Stacked in Astroart and processed in Photoshop

Carole

Ah that's the problem... Multiple threads on the same image ...

Sorry Carole it's easier for me to keep track when there's only one topic otherwise laziness prevails ;)

Robert

Carole

Thanks John.

Sorry Robert, I think I started a new thread because I thought the new better reprocess would get buried at the end of the other thread. 

Carole

RobertM

I think that problem would be resolved by sorting the threads with the newest posts at the top.  Not sure that can be done easily though ...

The Thing

If you are logged in the newest posts are at the top, if not they are at the bottom.

RobertM

Thanks, just found the option in my profile :)