• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Last Minute Bank Holiday Imaging Night at Mark's

Started by MarkS, Apr 30, 2014, 08:31:41

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Starting a new thread for this.

Friday night (2 May) is still looking very promising.
Saturday night expected to be partly cloudy.
Sunday night looks cloudy.

We'll make the final decision on Thursday evening, which night to choose.

If you are interested in coming along but don't know my address, PM me.  Bring a sleeping bag if you wish to stay overnight.

Mark

RobertM

Thanks for the generous offer, I'm very interested.

Robert

Carole

Really looking forward to this.

The website I use it looking partly clear on Friday and pretty good for Saturday, it's amazing how they vary:

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/High_Halden/long.html

Carole

MarkS

If we make it Friday night, you would have to arrive after 7pm but that still gives plenty of time to set up equipment before darkness falls.
However I know Julian can't make Friday night - are there others who can't make Friday?

If we make it Saturday night then you could arrive from mid-afternoon onwards and Dee might be persuaded to make a Chilli.

The forecast for Saturday night is beginning to look much better now.  But will it be better than Friday night - it's just a question of the timing of the arrival of the various banks of cloud.

Sunday night looks like solid cloud so that is out of the question.

Final decision will be taken on Thurday evening after consulting as many weather forecasts as possible.

Mark

julian

Fay

My plans have changed a bit, so friday would be better, not sure now if i can do saturday
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

I can do either Friday or Saturday.  Last time I looked Friday was looking more promising weatherwise.

Carole

MarkS

Friday certainly does look more promising at the moment.  Let's see how the forecasts update during today.

MarkS

Friday it is!!

It should be a clear sky with very good transparency and little dew.  There could be some breeze but we are slightly sheltered from the NE winds (unlike SW winds!)

Arrive any time after 7pm.  If you haven't eaten before you arrive then we can get fish and chips from the village.

Bring drinks/nibbles according to taste.  We'll provide some kind of breakfast for those staying overnight.

Mark

Carole

Great, many thanks Mark.

I'd like to stay overnight, but I'll bring the campervan and sleep in that to free up a bedroom, unless there is a spare room not being used, in which case I'll take a proper bed if I may. 

Where is the fish and chip shop please as I may get mine before 7pm?

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Where is the fish and chip shop please as I may get mine before 7pm?

Del's Fish Bar
St Michaels
Tenterden
TN30 6BT

Head for Tenterden from my place, through High Halden.  When you reach St Michaels there is a petrol garage on the left and the fish bar is on the right just a bit further up.

I'm sure there will be a spare bed - bring a sleeping bag to save sheet washing.

Mark

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on May 01, 2014, 19:26:25
I'm sure there will be a spare bed

Yes 'cos Carole will be out in her van in the cold :twisted:

MarkS

Apparently my son and his girlfriend will be coming over - so that's one less bedroom available.

If the forecast for Saturday night ends up being good then I'll certainly out there imaging again and anyone else who wants to stay for a second night would also be most welcome.

Mark

Mike

Thanks Mark. Petra and I would like to come too please. Especially as we missed the last one.

We will do a trip to the chippy too to save Dee having to go to any trouble.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Quoteanyone else who wants to stay for a second night would also be most welcome.
I might well do that.  Thanks.

Carole