• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Cairds Campsite - uDSC etc.

Started by Carole, Apr 27, 2014, 15:17:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Bummer, just had an E mail from Cairds campsite and he says there will be too many on site to be conducive to Astronomy.  He must have taken some more bookings since I last spoke to him.

I suspect we could have the same problem at Rother Valley which appears now to be £25 per night, I never remember it being that expensive.

So assuming the weather picks up - suggestions - is it worth contacting Rother Valley? 
Otherwise I guess it will be Blacklands as they can normally accommodate us when others can't but noise and lights!!!!

Any-one checked out whether Tuesnoad might have got it's act together and got electricity?
Any-one got a contact for Tuesnoad?

Carole

The Thing

Quote from: Ivor on Apr 28, 2014, 16:07:55
I'd like to come for a night but I want to check the mount post rebuild before lugging it to a field. I liked to try Cairds as it's nearer and easier to get to, but my vote shouldn't count until I can confirm my mount is in working order.

Even if your mount isn't right now, enough of us have done rebuilds to help you get it sorted at a DSC. So don't let that put you off!

I liked the look of Cairds ( from Google and at night) and I think it will be great off season if we could effectively book the whole place as it looks like it will be accessible when Rother Valley is  not.

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Rother Valley which appears now to be £25 per night, I never remember it being that expensive.

Yes Rother prices have gone up a lot, especially with the new weekend tariff.  I used to pay £24 for 2 nights on a standard pitch (without electrics).  That would now set me back £36 for a Friday & Saturday stay.  I don't pay much more than that for a longer stay at the Kelling Heath Star Party and with free electrics.

Mark

Carole

Oh dear, just check with Cairds campsite and now doesn't look like they can fit us in, must have taken some more bookings.  This is the problem with BH weekends and a small site and not booking in advance. 

Carole

mickw

It's funny that the reason we moved to Rother Valley was that Blacklands put their prices up - Take a look at Blacklands prices now -

http://www.blacklandsfarm.co.uk/prices
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

mickw

Take a look here -

There are now references to DSC and uDSC all over the place - It will all end in tears  :roll:

(Edit: Threads merged. It was indeed getting stupid... -- Rick)

Carole

Wow, that's a no brainer price wise.  Actually I quite like Blacklands, despite the crowds and lights. 

As I seem to have started this thread off, I'll ring Rother Valley and Blacklands and see what they have available, assuming the weather picks up. 

Carole

Carole

Thanks for moving the thread Rick, what started out as a report has now developed into an event.

Carole

mickw

Mac

Carole

I was just looking at that Mac on google earth.  If they've got hook up I'd be prepared to go there when it's not soggy ground, but I don;t have a phone number to ask.

Doubt they will have hook up anyway.

Carole

Mac

im sure you can just run a mains cable from the womens toilet.

Im sure Frodo and Daisy, will enjoy the past time of Sheep Chasing.

http://vimeo.com/3485209
Mac.

Carole

I'd need to be certain about power supply.  So has any-one got a phone number for Tuesnoad.  I found one for Tuesnoad Farm which does fencing, but I am not sure it is the right farm.  I could ring this number but if the wrong one I am not sure how to describe the one we want. 

Also, Cairds just got back to me and said they could take my camper and 2 tents, so depending on how many finally decide to go that might be a possibility, but he thinking other campers might be doing barbecues with logs going on past Bank holiday experience, so might not be ideal anyway.

Carole

mickw

Tell them it's the one covered in sheep shit where members had to resurface the entrance due to the lazy owner  :!

Carole