• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Cairds Campsite - uDSC etc.

Started by Carole, Apr 27, 2014, 15:17:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I was getting desperate to get some dark skies and to try out my campervan which I bought back in December.

Ivor had suggested we try the following site which is just south of Bewl Water and the opposite direction from Rother Valley when you get to the Flimwell traffic lights.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=10001

A few of us were going to try this out a couple of months ago but the weather and ground conditions prevented it and no-one else was available last night.  So I went with a bit of trepidation knowing that no other astronomers would be there, but hoped those who were would be friendly and they certainly were.

I got a brilliant night of 98% clear sky up to 3.30 am and hopefully a nice image at the end of it once processed which I will post separately.

The Campsite:
Cairds Camping and Caravan Park.
It's small but this means not too many non astronomers with lights etc, 8 hook up points these are placed centrally with four points on each.  The first thing the owner did was switch off the light on top of the hook up box (without me having to ask), though I did discuss that with him some 2 months or more ago and he didn't forget.

The pluses:
Very helpful owner and family, very friendly, willing to accommodate the needs of astronomers.

Small shop on site: With mostly farm produce: vegetables, eggs, bacon, home made hamburgers, sugar, tea, coffee, cakes, sweets, soft drinks.  He is open to suggestions and I suggested some ready meals and he said he will need to change his licence but is willing to do this.  

Glamping POD being constructed, ready soon with plans to build another.  This has a double bed and a futon and en-suite and some sort of kitchen area.  Would suit those not wanting to camp.  But if sharing might have to put up a partition which I suggested and he is having a think about it.

The owner also has a B&B just down the road he says and if any-one wanted to stay there they could also use the field for Astronomy.  

VERY nice toilet and shower.
Plans to build a 2nd one, but meanwhile there is additionally a portaloo.  No light visible from outside.  Until this is made it could be a problem during busy times if some-one is taking a shower as happened to me and I had to use the portaloo.  

Sky: Good horizon everywhere except some trees in the Southwest direction, but much of South is clear.  Some distant slight glow on the horizon from towns, but not too bad.  I could see the milky way, but it rose out of the slight glow quite late and wasn't particularly outstanding (is this normal for this time of the year?).  Nice dark skies, though not as good as Brecon Beacons or Tuesnoad.

This is my campervan and my set up with the SSW sky behind:

The Southern horizon:

This is the glamping pod as the sun set:

Stray light:
I was aware of a small country road running alongside the SW – W side of the site.  I saw about 6 cars per hours up to midnight and very few after that.  The lights did not trouble me at all as I pitched on the opposite side of the field and they were not pointing towards the field.

My Campervan:
It was so much better not having to pack and unpack both ends of the trip and I packed up and had left within 2 hours of getting up, normally I would have taken 5 hours to do this and been absolutely exhausted afterwards.

Would I go there again – most definitely.  

Thinking of going again on Thursday, and if the USDC campers want to join me he says he has more more people there as it's a bank holiday weekend but can fit about 10 tents in even if some have to go the opposite side of the fence (can still reach the hook up if you have a long cable), otherwise if you prefer to go to Rother Valley I can pack up and join you on Friday.

Carole

The Thing

I was there at midnight after Herstmonceux and it was certainly very dark, I couldn't see any lights from the gate so thought no imagers were there.
Impressive horizon, no obvious light pollution patches, it's up a hill so less chance of mist. Looks good.

Carole

Awe Shucks Duncan, shame you didn't come in it would have been nice to have some company.  I was hidden behind a wind shield which is probably why you didn't see any lights.

Carole

Ivor

An excellent write up, glad to hear it was a good trip and the campervan was a success. Following my late night reckie I'm pleaseds to hear the road didn't end up being a problem.

I guess the big test will be when there are other campers on site.

doug

Well done Carole.... well worth the reckie then. Glad your weekend was a success and you got some imaging done. Our Herstmonceux visit was stunning; lovely clear skies (like you) and some great views of Mars. Even managed to see the south polar cap and smudges of details.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mike

Thanks for the info. Carole. Perhaps we should book this place for the May DSC and give it a trail run as a group?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Obviously being a small camp Mike, there is a chance of it getting booked up.  But as he said, some tents could go the other side of the fence if necessary.  Also being small I don't think he would like us booking the place and then changing our minds at the last minute if the weather wasn't good.

I'll E mail you his e mail address so you can discuss with him.

I'd quite like to go there again on Friday/Saturday - the forecast is good. But if every-one else prefers to go to Rother and there is space, I can do that too.  I don't want to have to move everything from one camp to another.  I'll start a separate thread on UDSC as keen to go.  

Carole

Carole

I have started a new thread so as not to get muddled up with my other thread.

I'd like to go on Friday and Saturday and the weather forecast looks OK ATM.  Sunday looks good too but I have a prior engagement. 

Who's up for it and where shall we go?:

Rother valley (are there spaces?)
Cairds Camp site where I went on Saturday (I know you guys don't trust me after stairs farm  :oops: :oops:)
Blacklands (lots of people)

Carole

Fay

yes that is the trouble with us, we usually cancel if forecast is not good, which is difficult for the campsite owners, dont know the answer.  looks ok, well done Carole
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ivor

I'd like to come for a night but I want to check the mount post rebuild before lugging it to a field. I liked to try Cairds as it's nearer and easier to get to, but my vote shouldn't count until I can confirm my mount is in working order.

Rick

Quote from: Fay on Apr 28, 2014, 15:35:46cancel if forecast is not good, which is difficult for the campsite owners, dont know the answer.

I seem to remember that the early DSCs were paid for in full in advance, and we didn't get anything back if we cancelled. We did, however, have the field to ourselves...

Carole

That would be nice Ivor.  Yes I'd like to go to Cairds too, but didn't want to influence the majority decision.  We'll see what happens with your mount and what others say.

Carole

Carole

Yes I remember that Rick.  Not sure how that worked though, did the OAS foot the bill if no-one went?

Carole

Rick

Quote from: Carole on Apr 28, 2014, 16:53:39Yes I remember that Rick.  Not sure how that worked though, did the OAS foot the bill if no-one went?

I think Greg collected money in advance from those wishing to attend, and paid the field's owner. You paid. If you didn't go, you didn't get your money back.

mickw

Quote from: Rick on Apr 28, 2014, 17:02:02
Quote from: Carole on Apr 28, 2014, 16:53:39Yes I remember that Rick.  Not sure how that worked though, did the OAS foot the bill if no-one went?

I think Greg collected money in advance from those wishing to attend, and paid the field's owner. You paid. If you didn't go, you didn't get your money back.

That sounds like the fair way to do it - In the days of Penny's Field and Tuesnode particularly.
Unfortunately in the days of proper campsites with proper toilets and electric hook ups, the temptation is to stay in the warm when the weather turns crap and save the money.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional