• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Upgrading the forum software

Started by Ivor, Apr 03, 2014, 13:11:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivor

I see we are on an old version of the forum software, is there a reason why we haven't upgraded for a while?

Our forum does look a little dated and I think it would be nice to use some of the newer functionality provided in the latest browsers.

Rick

We're on SMF version 1. At some point we'll move to SMF 2, but version 1 still works well enough and is still getting security patches where necessary, while version 2 is getting still bug fixes, though it's now looking more stable. However, the gallery is next on my update list.

Mac

Forum software.

Just a thought, looking at Caroles recent post regarding posts being at the top or bottom ect,
I know the software that we use dosen't allow for thredded posts, but is there any free software that does,
I know that there are at least 20 different free forum software packages out there, have we thought about looking in to this.

One forum i do like is this one http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1021

although it is a custom forum designed by the host himself, i like the tree view layout, so that you can see each individual repost against the original post.

Any thoughts on this?

Mac.