• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

iPhone vs Henry Draper's 50min exposure

Started by MarkS, Mar 07, 2014, 05:35:29

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Compare this 1 sec iPhone image of the Orion Nebula to the first ever image of it by Henry Draper in 1880 - a 50minute exposure:
http://io9.com/the-first-photo-of-the-orion-nebula-compared-to-one-tak-1535930753

Rocket Pooch

RobertM

Have to admire the man doing a 50 min session guiding by hand, today there are words for people that do that sort of thing... Push Here Dummy

MarkS

Quote from: Rocket Pooch
Also cars are quicker now.

3000x quicker?

JohnP

Don't forget Mark we are also talking colour V's B&W... so we are talking 3,000 + 3,000 + 3,000 times quicker.. :-)

Mac

have you noticed the new star as well?

Might be just me, but.
Right hand side midle of the iphone image, One bright star, come in about 1cm to the left another star.

1880 image No star, ooking at the relative bightnesses, this should be visible on the original photo if it was there.

MarkS

There are a few stars missing in the old picture.  I wonder if it has anything to do with relative sensitivites at various wavelengths - film vs iPhone sensor - so the iPhone may picking up signal that the film was not sensitive to?

Rick

Good point, Mark. I'd guess it's very likely the film was sensitive mainly to blue, and not very sensitive at red...

MarkS

We might be able to confirm this by looking at the spectral classifications of the stars in the image.

mickw

Henry Draper's image is over 130 years old, and was hand guided.

With film grain and hand guiding he was lucky to get stars so tight.  There are also 2 other low mag stars to the lower left that have also disappeared from the iPhone snap.

The low mag stars probably blended into the nebulosity with camera movement.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional