• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

localised website timeout issue

Started by Ivor, Feb 04, 2014, 14:50:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivor

I've not experience this problem before so I'd be interested in suggestions.

I've just put a copy of my website up on the host after a minor change, access to the site www.jovets.co.uk it was working fine however during the copy I experienced a few problems with the file permissions preventing access which I've now sorted. The problem I now have is the site can be accessed from a number of external sources but not from PCs connected to my home network.

I initially thought this was just my laptop so I cleared the browser cache however I see the problem on the other laptops and the ipad in the house as well. All browsers say they timeout because the server isn't responding.

Can others access the site?

Any suggestions?

Carole

I can get your website OK Ivor.

Carole

Ivor

Thanks Carole.

I should add I can ping the site.

C:\>ping www.jovets.co.uk

Pinging jovets.co.uk [87.117.250.226] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 87.117.250.226: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=50
Reply from 87.117.250.226: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 87.117.250.226:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 18ms

Rick

Not knowing how your network's set up, I'm guessing wildly, but it sounds like a routing issue, possibly involving NAT at your router. Find out what IP address the machine running the server actually thinks it has, and see whether you can see the website using that...

Ivor

Googling provided no clues so I've gone with the old adage "If in doubt log out"; turned the router off and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Mac

One problem that does cause quite a few issues and is very subtle is the date and time,
Just check your date and time are correct, as this affects the validity of certain certificates,
Took me ages once before i realised that i had changed the date (cheating on candy crush).

Once this was sorted everything was ok.

Mac.

Mike

Mac, did you really just admit that you play Candy Crush?     :o 
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ivor

I've managed to isolate the problem but I'm not sure what is causing it but it appears to lock out the router after I fail to save something in the admin section of the Drupal installation. This only happens at home through.

Turning off the Router seems to fix it, but it's hardly an elegant solution.

Candy Crush!! Real men play Clash of Clans (my 8 year old son made me honest)

Mac

QuoteMac, did you really just admit that you play Candy Crush?

:oops:

Yup but only up to level 30, after that it wanted me to spam all my friends to continue, so i just deleted it.

Tried clash of clans................................................................

Mac.