• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Supernova SN2014J

Started by Roy, Jan 30, 2014, 22:22:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

Last Saturday Sue and I managed to see the supernova in M82 from outside our back door. I took some images of it which I have processed (my first serious attempt) which I have posted on the Gallery in 'Galaxies and Clusters' - it seemed the most appropriate place.

Roy

(Edit: Changed thumb_ to something more visible -- Rick)

Mike

Thanks Roy but these pictures are the exact same size of a postage stamp. Do you have any bigger ones?

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Roy

Mike,

Can I email them directly to you?

Roy

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Just uploaded it from the larger file on the gallery, I think you probably uploaded the thumbnails, done that a few times myself.  :cheesy:

Well done Roy stars are nice and round and the SN is clear as a bell - may there be many more images from you.  

MarkS

Well done Roy - that's a great first attempt!  Great colours and an interesting subject.  Were you using a DSLR?  What length exposure(s)?

It looks like the focus could be a bit sharper but that comes with practice.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Mark

mickw

Very nice Roy and all from 10x2 min subs, well done

PS elements is not going to do you any favours with the processing  :(
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

Very nice Roy, good colour and a fair bit of detail even if it's a bit soft. More subs and as mentioned, a bit better focus (try making a Bahtinov mask) would be my next goal. Much better than my first attempts!

Fay

Well done Roy & Sue!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

There may be a clear morning tomorrow or Sunday -  I might try to bag the SN if the wind isn't up to the 150mph I have seen mentioned elsewhere!