• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - 31st January to 2nd February 2014

Started by Mike, Jan 27, 2014, 09:13:41

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
Yeah the forecast seems to be getting progressively worse.

It's not looking good, is it ...

Mike

Guys, looks like we should call this one off. The forecast is currently heavy rain with Met Office yellow rain warnings and gusts of wind up to 48mph. Not exactly astronomy weather.

Perhaps we can organise a uDSC in February if the weather improves.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
We are all doomed! Doomed I say!

150mph winds?  That's not in line with any forecast I've seen.  But if true then we would be doomed ...

Mac

Quote150mph winds?

Time to get a chainsaw,
Just think of all that firewood.

Yippee.

Mac

Fay

Thats a serious forecast! are they having a laugh?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Quote from: Fay on Jan 31, 2014, 16:51:29
Thats a serious forecast! are they having a laugh?

I think the stupid winds will be to the SW and/or Scotland.

I get flood alerts from the environment agency - High tides and force 9 winds from the South (up to 54 mph) - The coast will possibly suffer most on the SE side of England
So it looks like your trees will be safe Fay  :lol:

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

I bet we still have a water shortage in the summer
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

My fish are loving it, a constant supply of fresh water flowing through - they think they are back in a river!  :brolly:

RobertM

Quote from: Mac on Jan 31, 2014, 16:01:08
Quote150mph winds?

Time to get a chainsaw,
Just think of all that firewood.

Yippee.

Mac

Start with the roof if that's true, mind you you'll have to find out where it landed first :o

MarkS

I'm pretty glad not to be camping tonight!!

Tony G

Well, it looks a lovely morning anyway for DSC......but is this the calm before the storm.  :-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Well I made the most of a (mainly) sunny and dry today to build a set of roof trusses and runners for the replacement observatory roof.  As soon as we get a dry weekend I can put the new roof on.  However it looks like we've got a nasty storm on Wednesday and according to ECMWF, an even nastier one next Saturday.  So it could be a long wait!