• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Windows XP

Started by Carole, Dec 31, 2013, 21:14:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I have just heard that support for XP is discontinuing from 8th April 2014 and that this means no updates and leaving users vulnerable.

My desktop is XP.  Would you say it's not a good idea to continue using it?  
Also only recently renewed my paid AVG (single computer only), so if I have to change it over, I hope I will be able to transfer it.

Trouble is I don't think much of my software will work on Windows 7 or 8.  

Carole

Fay

I have 2 XP computers. bit of a worry with my desktop as sensitive info on there. i have AVAST on here will that not be enough if no XP updates?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ivor

I had the same concerns a year ago and it was unfounded I have everything working on windows 7. Which applications are you particularly worried about?

I've checked and you can still get Windows 7 licenses, http://www.ebuyer.com/259863-microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-w-sp1-licence-and-media-1-gfc-02050 don't pick a version until you know if your machine supports 64 bit processing. If you don't know what I mean let me know.

I'm not convinced about Windows 8 I'll be steering clear of that until I have no choice.

It's very cheap to backup your data to an USB device now so as long as it is in some sort of order it wouldn't take long to sort out.

Fay

I run all my finances on there, so much stuff on there!! why do they have to keep updating so quick! XP was the most successful versions.

Something else to sort out now!!!

Carole

Well like Fay, apart from all the hassle of having to transfer stuff over.

Astroart which I only recently bought says Windows Vista/XP/2000/NT/Me/98 on the box
Photoshop says Windows XP/Vista on the box

I am not prepared to fork out to replace them all over again.

If necessary, I'll have to get Vista which I know every-one says is a pile of Sh&$, but I've been using that on my laptop for imaging for 3 years now and am quite used to it.

It's so annoying, because everything works fine on my Desktop, so why should I have to change it.

Carole

Fay

i have everything astro working on my Win 7 laptop Carol

Carole

Quotei have everything astro working on my Win 7 laptop Carol

Well I would have to try to install Astroart and Photoshop on some-one elses's Windows 7 to see whether it will work before I took the plunge.  The software would cost me more than the desktop to replace if it didn't work.

Carole

Fay

Carole

I've got Astroart 5 and Photoshop CS3, is that the same as yours Fay?

Carole

Mike

Why would you need to upgrade if you don't want to? All this means is Microsoft will no longer support the product, not that it isn't safe.

As long as you have anti-malware/virus protection you will be fine.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Mike, so is my AVAST good enough? is Windows update  just a free way of doing it, or do i need both Windows update and AVAST?

Carole

QuoteWhy would you need to upgrade if you don't want to? All this means is Microsoft will no longer support the product, not that it isn't safe.

As long as you have anti-malware/virus protection you will be fine.
That was the sort of answer I was looking for and hoping for.  But the information I got was if you're not getting software updates then that leaves you vulnerable.  I don't understand all this stuff sufficiently to know if it's a problem, so thanks for that Mike.

Carole

Rocket Pooch

Astro Art and Photoshop work fine on Windows 7 and 8.

Mac

QuoteI have just heard that support for XP is discontinuing from 8th April 2014 and that this means no updates and leaving users vulnerable

Did you know microsoft have also taken gullible out of the dictionary.  ;)

I've got an xp running (The old mans cornwall one) with just the original service pack 2 installed,
Its never had a single update from microsoft installed,
its got Avast, and Zonealarm installed,

and its NEVER had any problem with regards to being hacked, taken over, turned into a malware e-mail spammer machine.

Its a marketing ploy to get you to upgrade.

Mac.

Fay

so AVAST is enough to do the job properly, bearing in mind my finances are on there? what about SPYBOT, does that do a different job to AVAST?

mickw

Quotebearing in mind my finances are on there?

I hope you are backing up your files then.
And have a copy of your finance program somewhere.
And a copy of the backup software program somewhere.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Ivor

Mike and Mac make a good point, in the short term you won't have a problem. However there will become a time in the near future say 2 years where you will no longer be able to upgrade your applications or use newer applications as they won't support XP.

Carole

QuoteIts a marketing ploy to get you to upgrade.
Thanks Mac, well that's rather dishonest of them then.

Thanks Chris re PS and Astroart and windows 7.

That's put my mind at rest now.  I'll carry on with my XP desktop all the while it is working fine.

Carole

Fay

i am only concerned with mine because of the finances, Carole. My old Toshiba for imaging is XP but i dont have to go online with it.

Carole

I use mine for finances too Fay, but I'll swap to the Vista laptop for on-line banking in future I think.

Carole

Mike

Why? Like we said, with a firewall and anti-virus nothing is going to happen.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan