• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Meade disc

Started by MarkH, Dec 19, 2013, 18:21:05

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkH

Ok guys a little advice here. When I first got my lx90acf I'm not sure if it came with any software or not. I'm just about to attempt guiding. A, is there a software disc in existance? B, is it essential to have that software installed if it exists? And C, can I just carry on with phd?

mickw

Hi Mark
From memory Meade do have a software suite which is probably on the software disk (which you should have), once again from memory it will be planetarium software and some guiding software.  Meade used to use the guiding/capture software like timeshare - guide for so many seconds then capture - I have never used it - it might actually be good, but no idea.
If you can control the mount, guiding and capture from other software, that's what I would use, especially if you are using a mount other than Meade.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkH

Cheers Mick, I've heard a lot about you, your reputation preceeds you :D I'm actually and probably foolishly using a meade wedge but I'm only a beginner but with high hopes. This is all very new to me so I need to learn a lot of principals. As I understand it is better to take lots of short exposures so the wedge should suit. I may need to sorse a disc.

The Thing

Hi Mark, you need Ascom and the Meade Ascom driver (on the Ascom.org site. You also need the Autostar Suite from Meade, I have an old CD. You should be able to get a copy from the Meade site.
Once you have the Ascom driver working you can use PHD and loads of other software to control the mount.

mickw

QuoteI've heard a lot about you, your reputation preceeds you

Gulp  :oops:

You can download the Meade Autostar Suite from here (have a rummage through Support for other bits and bobs)
http://www.meade.com/support/downloads.html

You will need to get your polar alignment fairly accurate to avoid your target rotating or drifting out of view.
You should be able to get exposures of around 30 seconds with a dslr, just increase the time until the object starts to trail, or just increase the iso.
It's early days so you've got plenty of time to practice with your kit and technique - Enjoy
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
It's early days so you've got plenty of time to practice with your kit and technique - Enjoy

You mean in the rare gaps between clouds?

MarkH

Quote from: mickw on Dec 20, 2013, 07:45:32
QuoteI've heard a lot about you, your reputation preceeds you

Gulp  :oops:

You can download the Meade Autostar Suite from here (have a rummage through Support for other bits and bobs)
http://www.meade.com/support/downloads.html

You will need to get your polar alignment fairly accurate to avoid your target rotating or drifting out of view.
You should be able to get exposures of around 30 seconds with a dslr, just increase the time until the object starts to trail, or just increase the iso.

Don't worry mick it was all good :P

MarkH

Ok guys I have the meade software hopefully that will set me on the right road :D

The Thing

That will get you connected to the mount natively via the update cable, use the virtual handset, let you move the mount around and use it's planetarium for gotos. I remember the first time I got my Meade forks wired to the laptop - it was great fun slewing around like a Millenium Falcon gun turret with a built in coffee grinder! BTW make sure the handset is secure as the cables will pull it around.

You will still need ASCOM and the ASCOM Driver for Meade *with pulse guiding* to use PHD for guiding. Some Meade capture software supports guiding but only with their cameras.

MarkH

lol:  :lol: :lol: :lol: excellent Duncan, had immages of  youin a darth vader outfit weilding a tin of kenco :lol: :lol: