• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

This weekend DSC pics

Started by Jim, Dec 01, 2013, 18:35:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

For the first time ever I had no equipment problems and everything worked! It was a great DSC, really enjoyed it. 
My first Pacman Nebula. Just a quick & dirty process, quite pleased with it. Does seem a bit noisy though.

Meade 127
IEQ45 mount
WO reducer
QSI583
Ha 6nm filter
119 x 3min subs unguided
processed in maxim

Comet Lovejoy

CLSccd filter, same equipment as above
19 x 3min subs unguided

MarkH

Very nice Jim, especially lovejoy. It's nice to see the results as well as a veiw of the process. I assume you'll be giving it further attention, but very nice.

JohnP

excellent Jim - you did really well - shame your kit didn't work that well in France... :-( Tons of detail in the Pacman & really like the close up on the comet... Nice one,  John

Fay

jim how well you have done, very nice to get Lovejoy
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

julian

The Thing

The comet looks really good with variations in the tail showing up like that. The Pacman looks a bit noisy as you say but plenty of detail.

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Jim

Thanks everyone, it was nice to be imaging again.

Jim

Thanks everyone, it was nice to be imaging again.

Delphine

Lovely images. 

Delphine

Mike

What happened to the comet image?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

Quote from: Mike on Dec 11, 2013, 19:21:06
What happened to the comet image?

NASA I think claimed it back.
I believe Fay was showing Jim how to download images from their website.........allegedly.  :lol:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Jim

JohnP

Nice looks like you have actually got detail in head showing... Would be great if you could somehow combine the two processes as first shows tail better also looks liked background is clipped in 2nd. Any ideas what the fuzzy bit is just down at the bottom - is it some distance galaxy or something (looks too fuzzy for a star)...

Great image though & well done - John

Mike

I agree that the background is too dark. Lighten it up a bit. As we all know the sky is not black.

Great image Jim.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

See, that's what happens when you reprocess  ;)

QuoteAny ideas what the fuzzy bit is just down at the bottom

Just below the comet ?
Looks like a fuzzy star trail
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Jim

Thanks John & Mike. The fuzzy is a galaxy NGC5772 in Bootes. Not sure if the comet details are real or artifact but looks interesting like a shock wave. I'll try another reprocess :pooter:

MarkS

A couple of good images Jim!

Pacman has come out really well, though it needs sigma stacking to get rid of the hot pixels.

Lovejoy looks great.  I'm surprised you managed 3min subs without blurring - I suppose it is not moving across the sky as fast as ISON was.  Very nicely processed to bring out that "bow wave" effect!  I agree the background is too black though.

Well done.

Mark

Jim

Thanks Mark. I lied; 30 sec subs!!