• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Updated Melotte 15 Ha

Started by RobertM, Nov 21, 2013, 19:45:15

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

A bit noisy but I'm very relieved that this second hand scope looks in good collimation.  It's the first time I've used it and the results looks good so far.  This is not a final stack since it's still quite noisy in the darker areas (the moon didn't help) but about double the number of subs should help that along.

Capture details:
Date 2013-11-19
Scope: Altair Astro 10"RC@f/5.1
Camera: SX H694 bin 2x2
Filters: Astrodon 5nm Ha
Exposure: 22 x 300 seconds
Guided using OAG and Lodestar
Processing: Pixinsight

MarkS

Interesting scope - you kept that one quiet!  It certainly looks in good collimation.  F5.1 - is that with a reducer?

That's a beautiful image - some fine twisting detail in there.  As you say, it needs some more subs.  Why did you opt for 2x2 binning - to reduce noise?  Do you think you've potentially sacrificed some detail as well?

And finally, where on earth is Melotte 15?

Mark

JohnP

Its centre of heart nebula... ic1805

Looks good Robert - nice & close as well.  John

RobertM

It's f/8 native and I used it with an AP CCDT67 reducer..  The spacing I used gave about 1.5 arcsec/pixel which is much better than my seeing here so I don't think I lost any resolution.  In theory a 600mm scope with the camera at native resolution 'should, give the same results from Orpington.

Robert

RobertM

I've added some more subs taking it to 35 x 5 min and that's about it.  This is the finished image I think.

Full size: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3776/11248864545_bd809e1877_o.jpg

Note: this is NOT a reprocess.

TFL
Robert

mickw

Nice REPROCESS Robert  ;)

I think it seems to have lost a bit of contrast around the centre though ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

julian

Very nice image Robert.   Cannot wait to see the reprocessed colour version.

Julian

RobertM

Quote from: mickw on Dec 07, 2013, 09:56:26
Nice REPROCESS Robert  ;)

I think it seems to have lost a bit of contrast around the centre though ?

I use a different processing order and deconvolition for the first time to make the changes a bit more subtle also there are also some artifacts left and right which I've just noticed.  I'll go back to the drawing board and REPROCESS ;)

Robert

JohnP

Hi Robert, that's not looking too bad - maybe just a tad over smoothed for me - the dark areas are just starting to look a little mottled - this maybe down to contrast enhancement or DBE.. perhaps I'm talking a load of bollocks..! not sure..

Nice & great for Orpington - John

Tony G

Quote from: JohnP on Dec 12, 2013, 11:52:53
perhaps I'm talking a load of bollocks..! not sure..

John,

Do you need anyone to assist you in that assumption.........Does anyone know how to start a poll?  :lol:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Thinking i've been playing with PixInsight too much - my eval period has expired though so 'Normality' will be returned soon (been reading HitchHikers Guide again as well ;-) ) john

RobertM

Sorry, an unadulterated attempt as reprocessing !

By robert_merceruk
More sizes

MarkS

Very nice - lots of fine detail in there!

Mark