• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSLR

Started by MarkH, Nov 20, 2013, 19:31:57

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkH

Ok can I have some opinions here please I've just purchased an eqitorial wedge from Duncan, thank you Duncan. My old Olympus e500 is just not up to the job. To save me trawling endless reveivs etc. can members give me their opinions on the most suitable dslr for imaging and each's pro's and con's. Thank you :P

MarkS

This:
http://www.jtwastronomy.com/products/ultimate.html

A bit expensive but probably the best astro-DSLR out there at the present time.
Pros:
It's a Canon and therefore very compatible with all kinds of astro-software
It's modified for H-alpha sensitivity
It's cooled (quite a lot!)
1100D is a good compromise between pixel size and megapixels

Cons:
Expensive
Bulky heatsink
Not easy to use for family portraits and landscape pictures

Otherwise get a H-alpha modded 1100D without cooling.  Has the advantage of liveview to help focusing.
This guy is often selling them (but I haven't had experience of buying from him)
http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=72642

JohnP

wasn't Fay thinking of selling her Ha modded DSLR?

RobertM

Depends on what your budget is but I think Mark has already mentioned the best options.  Also budget for a decent Light Pollution filter  IDAS-LPS P2 or Baader Luminance Booster/Astronomik UHC depending in your sky.

Robert

Fay

i am keeping it now John, will use different software, to what I use with 600D as no live view
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Live view is very useful for framing and focusing if you're not driving it off the PC.  If you're using it with a PC then liveview is not required (in my opinion).

Mark

Fay

some of the capture progs i use only work with live view, so I rotate as necessary

The Thing

Hi MarkS,

Quote from: MarkS on Nov 20, 2013, 23:06:01
Live view is very useful for framing and focusing if you're not driving it off the PC.  If you're using it with a PC then liveview is not required (in my opinion).

Mark

I think that is only the case if you have a fast scope. Mark has an f10 LX90 8" like mine, I only see the brightest stars with Live View on my 1000D and that's with it reduced to f6.3.

The Thing

Hi MarkH

If you want a camera to get you started I have a Canon 350D with filter removed sitting in a camera bag. MarkS makes amazing pictures with his! Oh and also a Meade f6.3 focal reducer and an Orion Skyglow light pollution filter for SCT :) It's amazing how you accumulate kit in this hobby.

MarkS

Quote from: The Thing
I have a Canon 350D with filter removed sitting in a camera bag.

I hadn't noticed you move over to the Canon 1000D.  When was that?

Mark

MarkH

Quote from: The Thing on Nov 21, 2013, 11:36:07
Hi MarkH

If you want a camera to get you started I have a Canon 350D with filter removed sitting in a camera bag. MarkS makes amazing pictures with his! Oh and also a Meade f6.3 focal reducer and an Orion Skyglow light pollution filter for SCT :) It's amazing how you accumulate kit in this hobby.

Hi Duncan, thanks for your set up advice the other night, sorry if I seemed a little impatient but I had another prior engagement. I may well be interested n your 350 depends on the outcome of the thread. I'm not sure about weighing up image size/as opposed to processing speed on the computer as I am also considering a 450 any advice?

MarkS

If you have a choice between a modded 350D and a modded 450D then go for the 450D.
If it's a modded 350D vs an unmodded 450D then go for 350D unless you want the hassle and expense of modding.
I would prefer a modded 1100D to both the above.

If you've got light polluted skies then you might be better to buy a monochrome astro CCD and (at least) a good H-alpha filter.  Or else, make sure you frequently attend Deep Sky Camp.

The Thing

Hi MarkS,

I've been using the 1000D for a year and half I think. MarkH is in Otford, so fairly dark compared to Beckenham or Orpington, hopefully he's outside with his scope trying out the wedge since it's clear here.

MarkH

The sky wasn't clear here :( but we don't have much light pollution, I didn't even consider that I needed a filter :oops: :roll:

MarkS

Quote from: MarkH
The sky wasn't clear here :( but we don't have much light pollution, I didn't even consider that I needed a filter :oops: :roll:

I think my sky is darker than yours and but I generally use a filter.

Mark

JonH

If it's a modded 450D you're after mines up for sale....
As is all my kit :(
Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops!

MarkS

Quote from: JonH

Why?  :o

JonH

Quote from: MarkS on Nov 22, 2013, 09:53:06

Why?  :o

It's reluctant, been thinking about it for ages but putting it off.
Complete lack of time for the forceable future and far too many other commitments. Plus it's doing my head in seeing it all sat in the corner not going to use.
I can put the money to good use else ware so might as well.
Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops!

MarkS

It's reluctant, been thinking about it for ages but putting it off.
Complete lack of time for the forceable future and far too many other commitments. Plus it's doing my head in seeing it all sat in the corner not going to use.
I can put the money to good use else ware so might as well.

That's a shame but quite understandable. 

doug

Sorry to hear that, Jon. But we still hope to see you on occaisions.  :D
Always look on the bright side of life ...

MarkH

Hi Jon and Duncan respectively. Jon it's  a shame to hear you're giving it up, but I'm sure others would be willing for you to share a peek on observing evenings, how much would you be looking for for your modded eos450. And likewise Duncan how much would you be looking for for the package you described or just the eos350.

The Thing

Quote from: MarkH on Nov 23, 2013, 11:03:59
Hi Jon and Duncan respectively. Jon it's  a shame to hear you're giving it up, but I'm sure others would be willing for you to share a peek on observing evenings, how much would you be looking for for your modded eos450. And likewise Duncan how much would you be looking for for the package you described or just the eos350.

The only caveat is the focal reducer and filter add about 4cm to the back of the scope if used together and then you have the DSLR with a t-mount adaptor to add on as well. You will have to be very careful that they don't hit the forks when you slew the scope. There was no automatic way I know of using an Autostar (or whatever Meade now call them) to protect the imaging train as there is with mounts where you can set limits. But I may be wrong these days...

350D no filter, no glass + serial shutter release cable + Edmunds Optics glass if you want to fit it - £110
Meade f6.3 focal reducer - £60 (they are £130 new)
Orion Skyglow filter (SCT fit, box, case and test chart inc!) - £45

Fay

Jon that is really sad, you did so well, you came on in leaps & bounds. The hobby is a nightmare in our neck of the woods most of the time, and when we finally get a clear sky it is indeed time consuming capturing and processing.

not spending all your money on tattoo's?? ;)