• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC281 Pacman Nebula

Started by The Thing, Nov 08, 2013, 16:15:42

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

That's a lovely rendering Mark, I think I am trying too hard to get a wowee looking image rather than aiming for a good balance of detail and colour.

Carole

I wasn't able to do much with the Fits file as for some reason the data in the corners came out all glittery.

So this is what I managed just from the image that Duncan posted.  If this can be got out of an 8bit image then it just goes to show how much data is actually there.  

Would have liked to have tried processing a tif file, any chance of uploading to Dropbox Duncan?

Mac

Thats fantastic Carole,
How did you manage to pull all of that writing out of the image, :cheesy:

Silly me, You've mucked up the link from flicker. ;)

Any chance of updating to the correct link.

Mac.

The Thing

Here you are Carol. Shame I can't see your first go. TIF here.

Carole

QuoteYou've mucked up the link from flicker.
Getting a bit fed up with some of these links -  it shows up perfectly well on my computer, so how am I supposed to know it doesn't work for others. 

Thanks for the Tif Duncan I'll give it another go.

Carole

Carole

I downloaded the Tif but once again the corners on one side were really weird and when I stretched it the data is unuseable, no idea why.  

This is what the Tif looks like when it arrives on my computer:

So I have uploaded the Jpeg I stretched to the gallery and this is what I got by just copying Duncan's original image and processing it some more.
Obviously I am working with 8bit data

MarkS

Those extreme red values are where the FITS file had negative numbers (arising from the black level being already set).  FITS files handle negative numbers, as does IRIS.  The TIF file needed to be saved differently, without the black level set.

Mark

The Thing

The FIT was created from the output of COMPOSIT with a sigma of 1.5 and the cropped using WIN (IRIS commands...).

I have recreated the TIF from the FIT by using OFFSET 300  and STAT to check the minimum values are above zero, try downloading it again Carole.

Fay

that is same as on mine Carole
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

QuoteGetting a bit fed up with some of these links -  it shows up perfectly well on my computer, so how am I supposed to know it doesn't work for others. 

Normally for flicker, if you goto show all sizes, select the size you want, small medium ect.
then when the image is on the screen, right mouse click the image and select copy image url.
If you copy and paste that link, it should normally work for everyone.
The link address should be something like this.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6003/6019161908_679b7fc28f_q.jpg

as opposed to

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43711844@N04/6019161908/sizes/q/

If it says flickr in the url, then its probably not going to work
Mac.

Carole

I'm still confused Mac.

Firstly, why does the image appear for me and not others?

2ndly, this is the URL for that image which is similar to the top one you posted that you say is what it should look like.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3785/10764403724_f8bb2ca25c_b.jpg

Quoteright mouse click the image and select copy image url.
That's what I always do except I am using Firefox these days and it doesn't show you the URL, it just says copy image location. 

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Firstly, why does the image appear for me and not others?

A I understand it (and I might be wrong) when you are logged into Flickr to update images you are seeing things in a stucture that is not externally visible.  So you need to ensure that the URL you post is not a URL that is only available to you as the logged-in owner but a URL that everyone can see.

I don't know Flickr so I can't help further.

Mark

JohnP

Why don't you try:

http://www.astrobin.com/

A lot of guys & gals on the other forums seem to use this... or why don't you upload to your own webspace & use that.. that's what I do....

John

Carole

Hi John,

Yes I use Astrobin for my own images, but when posting things like Duncan's Pacman, I don;t want to post it on Astrobin amongst my own images.  

I didn't used to have a problem when I had my own webspace and had a page specifically for this purpose, but something happened to the software and it stopped working, I got no help at all from Serif and it seems others have had the same problem, so I went over to Google Free websites, but when I try to upload images from there I get a similar problem of images not showing.  

I don't want to have to go out and buy yet more web making software when I have a perfectly useable free site except I can't upload images from it (not to mention all the work it will entail moving the web data yet again), so this is why I started trying to use flicker.  I also can use Google+ and that seems to work, so I'll use that one next time.

I'm going to see whether if I upload Duncan's image as a "work in progress" to Astrobin if it will NOT appear publicly.

Carole

Carole

OK, uploading to the staging area in Astrobin seems to be the answer:

My process of Duncan's Tif file: