• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Final Image - NGC281 - Palud-Sur-Verdon

Started by JohnP, Oct 19, 2013, 20:59:40

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

I imaged the Pacman a month or so ago from Bromley & wanted to do it again in France as a comparison. I started off by getting some subs the first night but they weren't the best as I still had the issue with the 'dangly cables' so I decided to get try again on third night but imaging was cut short due to weather. So all in all I had the subs from Bromley & subs from 1st & 3rd nights in France somewhere in total around 3-4 hours of Ha data. Only problem was my camera had been taken in & out several times in between the two sets & I never made any attempts to align images before starting each of the sessions. Anyway decided to stack all three sessions as a single image. Have to say the signal to noise is great - it makes processing so easy. I really love this object there is so much detail in the middle. ONLY problem is that because subs weren't aligned there are some large areas top & bottom right that have got a lot less exposure (more noisy) fortunately its away from nebula but you can see the lines. I am still pretty chuffed with the outcome though..

This is my last image from France so I won't hog the forum anymore.. Need to go & get some colour data now for all the images I have posted...

Thks for looking,  John

MarkS

That really looks excellent John - you ought to be well pleased with that!

JohnP

Thks Mark appreciate comment - Just a shame about the corners...

Carole

Some fantastic detail there John.  Blowed if I can see any lines.

Carole

JohnP

Thks Carole - they are definitely there if you look closely...

Carole

Had to stretch the image in curves to find out where they were and now I know I can "just" see them. 

Carole

JohnP

Well I can see them quite easily on my monitor (I do know where they are of course) - The give away is the noise levels either side of the lines - some of the image on one side of the line had approx' half the integration time of the other.. fortunately though the Pacman itself was unaffected...

Thks,  John.

JohnP

If its of any interest below is STATS for single 10 min sub - left is Palud-Sur-Verdon & right is Bromley....

Fay

I think that is the best one John, the FOV suits the Pacman. I do like the Atik cameras though, trouble free to use.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Thanks Fay - Appreciate your comment - The Pacman is certainly an interesting object with lots going on.. John

RobertM

Very nice John, nice tight stars and it looks smooth (though it's a bit jpeg'd to tell for sure).

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

Thats looking good John. I tried this from Beckenham using my Canon a week or so ago and the gradients were unbelievable! Your image has given me something to aim for next DSC - it fits perfectly in my scopes field of view as well.

JohnP

Cheers Robert, Mick, Dunc - I appreciate the comments. I look forward to seeing your attempts Duncan.

John.

Jim

Great image John, the detail is wonderful. Just goes to show that even for Ha a dark sky makes all the difference.

JohnP

Thks Jim and yes the Ha made a difference... John