• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M31 Luminance two panel mosaic

Started by RobertM, Oct 18, 2013, 22:00:31

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

After all the pain with the Iris, this is just a simple process.  Dynamic background extraction for flats, dark structure enhancement and HDR range compression.  Don't have your monitor turned up too bright ! I will redo soon - and yes this too needs RGB :(

Top panel: 14 x 600s
Bottom panel: 12 x 600s

Borg 77EDII@f/4.3
Starlight-Xpress SXVR-H694
Luminance filter

Warty size: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7317/10351339815_3bcc93e18f_o.jpg

TFL
Robert

JohnP

Very nice again Robert & I can't even see the join ;-) Amazing looks like you can see dust lanes in one of the two companion galaxies (can't remember what number it is but the top one of the two in your image). Also some other background fuzzies to spot.

Nice one,  John

Rocket Pooch

Oh thats what you were up to...

The Thing

That's got so much detail Robert. There's a few faint fuzzies lurking as well.

MarkS

Very nice - you've got some good data there.

You're going to have with the gradients along the join!

Fay

i knew it would come out well Robert!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

julian

RobertM

Quote from: MarkS on Oct 19, 2013, 12:26:18
Very nice - you've got some good data there.

You're going to have with the gradients along the join!

Yes I know, I didn't apply the background extraction properly but I'll get it right in the real version.

RobertM

This is more or less there, I could do some range compression to show the core more plus some sharpening - what do you think ?

Full size (fewer warts this time): http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5545/10411628363_508ee424ab_o.jpg

If you look close enough you will see a join but it's quite subdued even on the full size version.

Now I need to capture colour data for the other pane (yes I have only one) ...

Robert

MarkS

I can't see the join this time!

However, I prefer the appearance of the stars in the original image - they appeared a lot tighter.  In the latest version they have become a lot more blobby and measles-like for some reason.

Mark

JohnP

First has a more 'milky' appearance - i.e. background nebulosity. Second is more contrasty but like Mark says stars are larger.. either way still a fantastic image - Like I said in my original comment I dont think I have ever seen lane structure in m110 before... fantastic.

RobertM

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.  I see what you mean about the stars, that could be due to the range compression I used in the first.  Admittedly I did use entirely different processing techniques for each so some difference is to be expected.  I'll also set the black point a bit lower to bring in the background a bit more.

Robert