• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Sky at Night from Astrocamp 2013

Started by Kylee, Sep 30, 2013, 20:13:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylee

See Mike and the gang on TV from the Brecon Beacons on 6th October @ 2345!

Just in case people wanted to watch  ;)

Carole

I've set up the video, I think Mike is going to be the star as they did several lots of filming with him.  I don't think I'm in anything as my kit was in the camping observatory and I was sitting in the tent at the laptop, so didn't attract any attention. 

Carole

Mike

I'm definitely in at least one short segment as the producer emailed me for a pic to go with it. I only had a few crappy subs, no darks or flats so had to process it to death to make it look half decent and it still looked crap. Oh well. I just wished i'd taken my silly hat off first as I looked a right plonker in it.

They did a fair bit of filming with the night vision camera when Petra and I were looking through Petra's scope too. Not sure if that will end up in the program though.

All of us were in the audience for the question time bit so i'm sure there will be a shot or two there.

Either way i'm sure it will all be on the screen for only seconds. They did hours of filming and it's probably only a 5 minute segment in the program.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Don't forget the BBC4 screening, which is usually ten minutes longer...

Carole

When is the BBC4 screening Rick?  If it's before I get back from Kelling I need to set the video.

Carole

Rick

The BBC Sky at Night page has the following varyingly vague programme times:

October 2013:

BBC One - Sunday 6th Oct, around midnight
   BBC Four - Thursday 10th Oct, 7.30pm
   BBC Two - Saturday 12th Oct, around midday

Carole

Kenny

They were filming you and Petra on the night vision camera? I really don't think that is appropriate footage for the BBC. They may sell it to Channel 4 though.  ;)

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Kenny

Mike

I was on about 3 times for a second each. Petra was on for a second or two on one occasion. The interview they did, and emailed me about, and asked me to send them photos 'urgently' didn't get in at all.

Kylee

Will it be on the longer episode on Thursday?

BBC4 1930

Carole

I was surprised they devoted the whole programme to the event, but despite this much got left out.  Nothing at all of the Q&A session, maybe that will be in the Thursday longer episode.

Saw Mike twice, Petra once, I was in the background of the very last thing shown watching my next door neighbour despairing in front of his laptop.  Also my M31 was shown.  They asked for images to be sent and I sent a few past ones, but then thought they might have wanted ones actually done at the Astrocamp.  This was the one I did at Mark's in September 2011. 

Must record the Thursday edition as well.

carole

mickw

Quote..................... my M31 was shown.  They asked for images to be sent and I sent a few past ones, but then thought they might have wanted ones actually done at the Astrocamp.  This was the one I did at Mark's in September 2011. 

Cheat  :P
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

I did make it clear to S@N where and when the images were done, so they did know it wasn't done at Astrocamp.  It was just an example on the programme. 

Carole

Kylee

Mike...your interview was on the show tonight. Did you see it?

Kylee  ;)

Mike

Yeah just watched it. Glad it wasn't all in vain in the end. My image looked great too. It doesn't look that good on my screen. That was only 3 x 5 mins too. No darks, flats or bias.

Klitos

I tried to download it on BBC iPlayer. I clicked on the BBC4 listing, which was the full half hour, but iPlayer downloaded the shortened BBC1 version instead. I guess I'll never get to see your interview.  :cry:

MarkS

Really annoying - I've missed the longer version as well.

Why do they do 2 versions of the same programme?

Les R

Quote from: MarkS on Oct 11, 2013, 00:02:03
Really annoying - I've missed the longer version as well.

Why do they do 2 versions of the same programme?

I've got it on at the moment from BBC iPlayer. The interview is on it... And Carole's Photo...  Grab it before it disappears in 6 days

doug

I will try and get it onto a DVD so that peeble can watch it.  I`ll try, but not sure how successful I will be. You know what I`m like with electronic gear .... :o

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Klitos

Quote from: Les R on Oct 11, 2013, 00:55:51
I've got it on at the moment from BBC iPlayer. The interview is on it... And Carole's Photo...  Grab it before it disappears in 6 days

Thanks Les! I've just watched it while having breakfast. Seen Mike's interview, seen Petra too! All good stuff!

Carole

Mark, I have videoed the Sunday edition and also set Thursdays to record (hopefully it did so, not checked yet), so can let you have a copy if you like.

Carole

MarkS

Thanks Carole.

It now seems the interview version is available on iPlayer - so I'll pick it up from there.

MarkS

I've just watched it on iPlayer - a good episode.

Mike,  have you processed the images you were planning to take that night?

Mike

That was the image on the program. The one of the Crescent Nebula. It was the only one I did, apart from a few milky way shots.

doug

..... and I managed to record it onto a DVD.  :D
Always look on the bright side of life ...