• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M27 again, this time using RGB filters

Started by Carole, Jul 16, 2013, 00:36:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I have not had a lot of time to use filters since I got a mono camera last August, and even when I did (one LRGB and a couple of narrowband, I could never seem to get more than one colour in the resulting image - maybe the data wasn't good enough).

OMG it has taken me around 5 nights to gather the data for this, but I have finally produced an RGB image that actually shows more than one colour and got better alignment with the stars by using Registar.  

I know there is still a lot wrong with this and I could tell you a few things myself, but I feel I have finally reached a milestone.  

i.e.
a) The red stars appear to be a bit larger than the other filters, should I have pre-stretched the red filter less before combining?
b) Background sky is not brilliant, but I did not take any darks, might get around to doing this at some point, but finding out my manual filterwheel leaks light means I have to do them in the dark if I don't want to take the camera off, and 5 nights on this already and the heatwave I felt I had had enough for now.
c) Bit of horizontal banding in the green filter, no idea what has caused that, but guiding was also bad that night, so maybe it was something to do with sky conditions.

All subs 600secs, Red x 6, Green x 4, Blue x 10 (some Green had to be chucked away due to poor guiding for some reason).  All Baader filters.
Skywatcher Newtonian 200PDS + coma corrector reducer, Atik383L
DSS, Registar and PS CS3

It's only taken me around 10 months since getting a mono camera to get this far, but then I do have a lot of excuses.   :cheesy: :cheesy:

Sorry tried to up date the image and then OAS website was down. image next post.

Carole

Carole

I managed to solve the larger red stars problem, so this is a revised version.  

Larger version:
http://www.astrobin.com/uploads/a3678971-62ca-45f7-913f-227d41a23448.png

Carole

Ivor

That looks a lot better how did you solve the colour balance?

You also seem to have solved the soft focus issue that you had in the other shot what was the issue?

Are you planning on adding HA to this?

Carole

This is a completely different image Ivor, done with the Atik and filterwheel. 
Previous image was Ha and DSLR RGB.

I've been trying out various cameras on the same object.

Carole

Fay

That is very nice Carole, but what a nightmare to get!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

That's looking mighty fine Carole - the large image looks good & you have good star colours - much better than anything I have ever got from Bromley. I doubt you could get a better image given local conditions. I would say you should be well happy with that & it sounds like you learnt a lot along the way.

Nice one,  John

Carole

Thanks Fay,
Quotewhat a nightmare to get!!
Totally agree, filters takes far too long, but it was a challenge and hurdle I needed to learn/do. 

Thanks for your nice comments John,
Quoteyou should be well happy with that & it sounds like you learnt a lot along the way.
I am quite happy with it and what I have learnt on the way.

Not sure I will be using RGB filters too often, I'm going to try to sort out that OSC and use in combination with Ha or luminance. 

Ivor

QuoteThis is a completely different image Ivor, done with the Atik and filterwheel. 
Previous image was Ha and DSLR RGB.

I recall the teachers at school told me to pay more attention to detail as well :)

You should consider an automatic filter wheel it will make a huge difference to your mono image capture process. Using AstroArt I've written a script which prompts for the filters, number of subs and duration and away it goes. I'm not familiar with Maxim or APT (I think that's the other capture product you use) but you would be able to do the same thing.  It does take longer to collect all the data but I feel the quality of my images has improved by persisting with the mono camera and filters, so don't give up on the RGB or SHO shots just yet.

There must be someone in the club who has a Maxim script you could plagiarise?

Mike

An automatic filter wheel certainly cuts out a lot of wasted time. Most sets of software like Maxim will automate the filter selection process leaving you to not have to worry about anything.

Nice image Carole but the colour balance is off. Way too many salmon pink and jade green stars.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Well in my experience even though filters are sold as 'Par-focal' they never are so you will also need to make sure you have an autofocuser with software routine if going the automated route...

Carole

Don't want to motorise filterwheel or focusser.
I like to keep things simple, less IT to have to sort out and less to go wrong.

i.e. I have EQmod and it works, but can't see the point in using it as I find the handset just as easy.  OK, I could operate the mount from a distance, but it is very rare that I have needed to do that. 

Focusser I can do by hand, filterwheel I can do by hand, yes it probably does take longer though.

I have a copy of Maxim, but I find it too complex, again like to keep things simple.  I use Artemis capture for the Atik, and APT for the other cameras. 

Quotesalmon pink and jade green stars.
did you look at the latest version Mike, I got rid of the green stars, but did not know how to tackle the salmon pink ones - so it's colour balance, never remember to check that.  Version number 4 coming up then.

Carole

Carole

Is this better Mike?

Colour balance interestingly was pretty much balanced according to info/click on background, however got this using curves:

Carole

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Ivor

That's look great. I'm more impressed you're doing this at all with such a small window for imaging at the moment, excellent commitment to the cause !!