• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M27 HaRGB WIP 6-7-13

Started by Carole, Jul 07, 2013, 13:36:55

Previous topic - Next topic

julian

Carole

Thanks Robert and Julian.

Not having much success yet in getting any colour to show up in the Skirt with OSC or DSLR, probably a futile exercise from Bromley, so am now trying with RGB filters, if that fails I'll have a go with Oiii and Sii.

Carole

MarkS

Carole,

You won't see the skirt in RGB from Bromley (at least not unless London suffers a complete power blackout) because of light pollution.

You were able to see it in Ha because it is narrowband.  So you'll need to use the Ha as your red channel in any colour image you produce.

Mark

P.S. There's a 10% chance of an X-class flare today from that giant sunspot according to Spaceweather.  Pete Lawrence and Damian Peach have images of the sunspot.

JohnP

Mark - this was from Bromley in 2008 - HA + RGB - you can almost see skirt in colour... :-) John

http://jpastronomy.co.uk/graphics/2008/m27-jul08.html

Carole

I had a feeling that would be the case.  I have tried adding the Ha into the red channel but it doesn't do much.

Well since I am halfway through doing filters, I might as well finish the job as I've only done one previous LRGB image, so need the practice, though I do find filters a real chore with separate flats etc.

This is a combi I have done with RGB data from the DSLR 900sec subs @ 400iso and I didn't take any darks as they never seem to make any difference, and considering this was the hottest day of the year, lowering the ISO seems to make a lot of difference.

Ha added as luminosity layer and also into Red channel.
The skirt is a bit more noisy than the mono version.

Carole

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Glad you agree Fay. 
I am seriously considering doing colour with the DSLR and using a lower ISO (as above) and ditching the RGB filters and just having a set of L,Ha,Oiii,Sii.

Carole