• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Celestron Neximage 5 Solar System Imager

Started by Les R, Jul 19, 2013, 06:50:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Les R

I'm just about to purchase a Celestron Neximage 5 Solar System Imager for my Nexstar 6SE.

Does anyone else have one or used the device? I appreciate it's only probably useful for planetary objects but hopefully the 5MP sensor should produce reasonable results and keep the youngsters interest high.

Les R

I decided in the end I didn't want to take the risk of losing it and after seeing some impressive results using one, I plumped for a buy it now instead of an offer.

It's the littleuns birthday next week.... And aftter giving his second science presentation to about 30 of his teachers using PowerPoint slides, but only for reference prompts (ie all off the cuff) and receiving an email last night from his teacher which makes me so proud, I thought what the hell!

Hi Les,

I thought I would let you know about Thomas' presentation this afternoon. It was truly exceptional! I have had staff from all over the college comparing Thomas' performance to Brian Cox. The way it which Tom integrates charismatic excellence with superior scientific intellect is truly exceptional. From this I have every confidence that Thomas will supersede all expectations in the future and I look forward to carrying on with our physics projects next year.

At his last review, we were told he was working far in excess of his GCSE coursework and the topics tackled, he was showing a clear comprehension and ability to demonstrate he had digested and understood. He said it was well beyond A Level and indeed were subjects tackled at Degree Level. Not bad for a boy currently 12 years of age.... Until next week of course!

Tony G

Les,

Congratulations, and this is something to be very proud of.
I wished my dad received reports like that from my school.........instead of the one's he did receive.  :roll:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Les R

Quote from: Tony G on Jul 19, 2013, 07:57:57
Les,

Congratulations, and this is something to be very proud of.
I wished my dad received reports like that from my school.........instead of the one's he did receive.  :roll:

Tony G

Haha.... Yes, my dad would have been thinking the same too!  :lol:

We had a letter back from his head teacher when he did his last one (on Black holes and quasars) and he said he'd never in all his years of teaching seen a year 8 student be so confident talking about advanced topics and process so much knowledge. We've framed it!

Obviously I'm not getting carried away with the glowing compliments, but it does give a real warm fuzzy feeling to read such comments! His knowledge is purely through laboriously reading, searching online and spending lots of time doing it. Such a shame the eldest doesn't! lol

Carole

Sounds like a budding Astrophysicist, congratulations.

Carole

Les R

Quote from: Carole on Jul 19, 2013, 10:01:17
Sounds like a budding Astrophysicist, congratulations.

Carole

Well he has built a rocket and gone to the moon in the Kebble Space program!  :lol:

Doh.... The games up..... He plays computer games too!  :)