• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observatory Progress

Started by MarkS, May 15, 2013, 20:35:39

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
Mark, I'm surprised your next mixing the concrete by hand yourself...   Now that would be a workout... ;-)

Maybe I should have done - concrete man has let me down - he won't be coming until tomorrow morning now :-(

Sorry Mick!

mickw

Sniff  :(

Was looking forward to making mud pies with concrete  :cry:
Did have some Stella though  :beer:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Well they finally arrived around 5pm.

They barrowed, laid and tamped the concrete.  4.2 cubic meters in total

Now sitting under a tarpaulin to protect it against possible heavy showers tonight:

Mac

looks like the new communal tent has been found.

Mac.

mickw

How long did it take them ?

MarkS

Quote from: Mac
looks like the new communal tent has been found.
:lol:

It took them about an hour and a half.

If I did it myself in a mixer I'm sure it would have taken 3 days!

The angle iron for the roof "rails" arrived yesterday, so I have all I need to make some solid progress now (once the concrete has hardened).

Mark

mickw

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
That was quick  :o

They worked like trojans and they knew what they were doing!

JohnP

Looking good Mark & the weather for long weekend looks not too bad so hopefully lots of progress. John

doug

Very nice, Mark ... but will you have pussy cat paw marks across the wet concrete, or fox, or rabbit, or...... or...... :squirrel: :ferret: :parrot: :bug: :chase: :baa:

Looking forward to seeing the completed observatory; it`s gonna be a smasher!!!!

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

MarkS

Close of play Sunday:

The wall frameworks and roof trusses are all built.  I'll construct the wooden floor tomorrow then everything can be assembled in place.

Mark

The Thing

You're in the wrong job Mark! Looks like you will be imaging by Wednesday. Except for the rain. :!

MarkS

Shuttering removed this morning:

This represents the current state of play (before I covered it with a tarpaulin):

Floor is laid and walls in place except for the hinged flaps.  The "ventilation ducts" have not been filled with concrete - I need to cut them to the appropriate length first.  From now on, progress will be much slower.

Mark

Fay

Thats an added novelty Mark, red lampshades!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

julian