• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Diamond Synchrotron Visit - 9th Nov

Started by Mike, Apr 25, 2013, 13:08:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I am going to go up to one of the Diamond Synchrotron Open Days days later in the year. Information about the open days can be found HERE. If anyone else would like to join me then you are welcome.

"Diamond Light Source is the UK's national synchrotron facility, located at the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire. By accelerating electrons to near light-speed, Diamond generates brilliant beams of light from infra-red to X-rays which are used for academic and industry research."

I went there myself with the London Hackspace guys a few years ago and it was a great day out. The synchrotron is basically a mini-version of the LHC but instead of accelerating and smashing electrons it does the same thing with X-Ray light.

To see a video about what the Synchrotron is and how it works click HERE.

The open day is completely free and will last around 2 hours. You will just need to make your own way there. I would suggest car sharing where possible. The dates of the next set of Open Days are: 1st June, 2nd June and 9th November. Click one or more of the dates in the poll above to select a preferred date or dates. If you can make 2 or 3 of the dates then click what is relevant or all of them.

Cheers,

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Sue

Looks good Mike, both me and Roy would like to go but only I have voted for Nov 9th and Sun June 2nd. Will not let me vote for him too, can you add him in please or does he need to login himself to have his vote counted?

Cheers, Sue.

Mike

Sue I am not able to edit the vote so Roy will need to log in under his own account and vote please.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Kenny

Mike

Quote from: Mike on Apr 25, 2013, 13:08:42
The open day is completely free and will last around 2 hours.

:roll:

Sue

Just to note the Didcot railway centre is about 4-5 miles from the diamond Synchrotron, for anyone that way inclinded too and wanting to make a day/weekend of it ; )

Kenny

Mike

I am waiting on Diamond letting me know when the registration for the November 9th date is open. When that happens I will book us in as a block if possible.

So I have an idea as to how many people want to go on November 9th I have reset and edited the vote above. If you definitely are able to go on Nov 9th then vote YES. If you might go then vote MAYBE. That way I will at least have a rough idea as to numbers.

If anyone is able to car share then also please say so. I have already volunteered to take 2 people with us.

Sue

One yes added for me and Roy coming too - yet to vote. Would have spaces in our car going up on Saturday but considering doing Dicot as well so possibly staying in area Saturday night and returning Sunday .

Sue.

Delphine

I have voted yes once but there are two of us.

Cheers
Delphine

Mike

I've changed the Maximum Number of Votes per Person to 2. I don't know if that is one vote per option of if you can do two for the same. If so, Sue and Delphine you can vote for your partners too.

Rick

It allows you to vote for two different options, but doesn't let you vote for one option twice.

Mike

OK so those people will need to log in and vote themselves then.

Delphine

Ian isn't a member of the society so unfortunately he can't log in.

Delphine

Mike

You don't need to be a member of the society to be a member of the forum. They are totally different beasts.

Never mind, i'll just mentally add 1 to the total.

Delphine

Thanks Mike.
Cheers
Delphine

Mike

OK the date for the next Diamond Synchrotron visit has been confirmed as 9th November 2013.

CLICK HERE

Click the above link then go down to the MAKE A BOOKING section and send an email to the address listed. They will then send you an email 6-8 weeks prior to the event to say that booking is open. You must then book individually as soon as you get that email.

The day is totally free, you just need to make your own way there. Car share is a good idea and I am already taking 2 people in my car.

It's a great day out, very interesting and highly recommended. Below are a few images of the place to whet your appetite.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike

Booking is now available. Go to the website and register the names of your party.

Please choose the 11am session !!

PLEASE DO THIS ASAP !!!  

Kylee

Hey Mike.....this coincides with the uDSC you just mentioned?!

Mike

Mike

I've changed the uDSC date to the weekend before.

Delphine

I have just emailed them for myself and Ian.   Hopefully I am not too late.

Delphine

Kenny

Delphine

I registered to book but unfortunately there were no places left.   I will keep a look out for the next open day.

Delphine

Mike

Are you sure? There were 77 spaces when I booked and that was just hours before you said you did.

Delphine

I have just had another look and there are 35 places for 9:30 and 1 for 12:30 but none for 11:00 or 2:00 pm.  We are not keen to go to the 9:30 one.

Delphine

Mike

Well they went really quickly!! Book yourself into the later one if you wish. We can still all meet up later in the day somewhere.

Delphine

Thanks Mike but I have  missed the boat as there are two of us and only one place for the later one.  I will try to go to the next open day.

Delphine

Mike

That's a shame. I hope the other people that said they wanted to go got their emails and booked quickly.

Kenny

Wow! What an amazing visit. Head buzzing!! Great to chat with people so passionate about their scientific research. Great choice for a visit Mike. Thanks for setting it up.
Cheers
Kenny

Mike

Yeah it was a great weekend. It's great you can actually get inside the ring and the beam line laboratories and get up close to the equipment. I will definitely try and organise another one next year.

doug

A fantastic day Mike. Incredible place and so large.  Thanks for arranging it , Mike.

Rose and Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...