• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Taskbar icons not coming up........................

Started by Fay, Apr 15, 2013, 10:11:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I was trying to sort this problem before i went away, to no avail. i finally have it up but dare not turn it off!!

The taskbar items are not coming up & so, I think, are preventing windows from starting up.

Windows starts to come up and then the orange light, flickers less and less, and it seems to stop opening up.

If I select anything like, from control panel, it takes an age to appear and then does not work. I tried to do a system repair, but that did not work either.

So, the main problem, I think, is the taskbar items not coming up, and this is preventing anything from opening.

I wont turn it off any more, until I have it sorted.   

Grateful once more!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

First remove AVG completely - windows uninstall or whatever, there should be an uninstall icon in the AVG directory - also make sure you turn off/disable AVG  first.

Then use something like CCleaner to get rid of the crap that gets left behind
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

AVG seems to have thrown a wobbler and might be assuming that the taskbar stuff is a virus
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Mac

STOP

Download avast first, then uninstall then install your antivirus straight away.

On another note, do you have a firewall?

Mac.

Fay

downloaded avast first. the only icon to come up in task bar and doing a scan

Fay

other taskbar icons gradually coming up.

Mac do you remember you telling me to not use all the tasks on desktop for startup? well i still do that. do  u think i should revert to normal windows startup mode?

Fay

well left desktop on all night as scared to turn it off. i have now lost the sound icon, says no audio device connected. i hope i can sort it all out before i lose the hard drives!!!!!

Avast is up & running ok

mickw

Windows usually looks for new devices when it's turned on so half the stuff you're missing will never come back until you restart the PC

Fay

i have had it off and it is missing. if the problem is  hard to cure, i may have to think about a new desktop, before i lose the hard drives, but then again, it could be a simple problem, its knowing what to look for

JohnP

Quotei have had it off
.. oh err misses...

Fay - I am sure it is not a major prob - I can probably pop around sometime & offer some help if you wish...?  John

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
i may have to think about a new desktop, before i lose the hard drives

That reminds me - I haven't done a complete back up for a while - I must do one.

Fay

John that is very kind of you.

i have this friend who is going to come around, he is a bit of an expert as well. see how it goes meanwhile big backup!!!!!!!

Mac

QuoteMac do you remember you telling me to not use all the tasks on desktop for startup? well i still do that. do  u think i should revert to normal windows startup mode?

Nope leave it as it is, you dont need 273 icons sitting in the corner waiting for you to do something,
If you need to run a program, you will just run that program, the time saving is so small, you wouldnt need it.

As for Mr P popping round,
As you have avast now, if you open avast up by double clicking
and then goto the following tabs.
Maintainence on the top and then remote assistance,
anyone with avast can now help you remotly,
just let them know you want help,
click on the allow remote control and give them the 8 digit code
once the enter the code thats it, they can sort your pc out from afar.
Im doing it all the time with my dad's in cornwall, and my friend in canada.

Mac.

Tony G

Good to remember that Mac, no doubt I'll be contacting you sometime in the future. ;)

Quote from: JohnP on Apr 16, 2013, 10:11:25
Quotei have had it off
.. oh err misses...

John,

I thought exactly the same, but thought that someone with a lower IQ than me would comment on the remark but you disappointed me.............I thought it would be Chris. :lol:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Nah.. He's in Sweden so I thought I'd get in first... I was actually  impressed at how early this morning Fay had it off....

Rocket Pooch

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rocket Pooch

Fay

thats interesting Mac will look into it. i have left desktop overnight with a friend who is looking at it. see how it goes

Fay

Mac  please can you give me that list of essentials and non essentials, that run within task manager? i have looked on forum & cant find the post, but you may have sent it to me by pm  thanks

Mac

you can turn off everything except your firewall stuff and antivirus stuff.

Fay

ok Mac i was with this chap 5 hours yesterday and he could not find the cause. he is very knowledgable, it is his hobby. anyway, got a mail that he may have a breakthrough so will go to him at 3 with fingers crossed. if not, then i will, if its ok, let you enter into it Mac, if you know what i mean.

other than that a new computer. i would want win 7 but i think few and far between. i dont want win 8!!!!!!!!

Fay

Im up and running just getting screen settings right

mickw

Did your guru friend find out what you did to break it in the first place ?  ;)

Fay

there were so many things gone wrong. i cant remember them all. i do know that the opening task section had become very full, whereas i only had selected items in there for months, as per Mac. everything was going wrong, errors getting thrown up everywhere. things suddenly not working.  it took a long time to sort, but sorted it is. so glad about that.