• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observatory automation first step - motorised roof

Started by RobertM, Mar 19, 2013, 19:20:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivor

Robert,

I'm looking into the same project at the moment how did you get on with this?

RobertM

Hi Ivor,

Been a bit lazy... I've got to change the wheels first - rolling resistance is about 20kg at the moment !  The originals are too small (40mm) so I'm going to put 100mm nylon castors on before I motorise.  That's the most tricky bit as I'm going to have to jack the roof up a fair bit to be able to get screwdriver access.  The motorised garage door opener is ready for fitting so once that's adjusted and working then I'll finish the logic diagram and start coding.

So many other things to do ... Sigh

Robert

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM
I've got to change the wheels first - rolling resistance is about 20kg at the moment ! 

20kg?  I wish I could reduce my rolling resistance that far!

Ivor

Well you're a few steps further along than me, I'm still working out the best design for the dome. Someone gave me a tour of their observatory at the weekend and they had upgraded the wheels to inline skate wheels (ebay specials from China) which have sealed bearings. This worked really well he was rotating the dome with little effort.

RobertM

That's interesting.  If I did that then I wouldn't need to rework any of the cladding for extra height  :idea:

I'll take a look into that...

The Thing

Quote from: RobertM on Feb 25, 2014, 18:31:31
That's interesting.  If I did that then I wouldn't need to rework any of the cladding for extra height 

I'll take a look into that...

Just get a couple of pairs of inline skates off ebay and screw the wheel assemblies/soles to the truss. Simples. :idea: :idea:

MarkH

Mmmmm Duncan, you've just prompted a thought.......... ptfe: lowest coeficient of friction known to man. Might be worth considering Mark.