• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Aurora/ Alta Norway

Started by Fay, Mar 15, 2013, 15:54:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Canon 600D, ISO 800, 30 secs, Sigma @ 10mm, F3.5. would like to have done a timelapse but did not get the chance. got around 15 good shots. i was very lucky to be prepared. it appeared, on another night, when on the ship, but no good trying to take pictures as too many people on deck, too many lights & too much movement. this was the only chance. They are graded from 1-10, these were 3-4. they are quite a lot fainter when you look, but the camera picks up the colour. did not need processing. you can see Pleides, Orion Cass, Jupiter etc etc

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Kylee

Really lovely shots Fay :)

Fay

Thanks Kylee, i was quite happy with them for a change! we were en route, being driven to a dark site & i could see it starting while we were still going along, so no room for too much error, had to setup & start straight away. the focusing is the problem. i had focused during the day, but so easy to knock the camera en route, in the dark!!! it was guess work in the end.

Carole

Great shots Fay, glad you got to see them. 

Carole

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

Lovely shots Fay, it must have been a thrilling spectacle.

RobertM

Just the words I was going to use Duncan.  The colours have come out really well too.

Tony G

Fay,

These are bloody great images, and I'm glad you managed to retrieve something from a rather traumatic, or exciting trip, depending on the way you look at it.

Anyway, I wonder what these would look like in Mono?  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Thanks everyone. yes i risked life & limb, scared of water too!!!!!!! could not believe I was slipping from one end of the bed to the other, due to the boat going up & down,  during the rough sea nights!!!!!!!! did not sleep for 3 nights!

think I have said the wrong thing.................over to you Tony

Rocket Pooch

Well done Fay, and you have more then green so it was a good display..

Fay

Thanks Chris, yes they said it would mainly be green, but i for a lot of pink as well. but on the horizon you can see light pollution from Alta

MarkS

Really good shots Fay of a stunning display.  I love the star background.  ISO 800 on the Canon 600D is the exactly what I would have chosen :-)

Well done for practising in advance - it makes all the difference to be prepared.

The boat sounded like a disaster - glad you survived!

Mark

Delphine

Super pics Fay.  i am glad you got to see aurora, but what an adventure!!!!!

JohnP

Excellent Fay - really pleased for you. They are superb Aurora shots. You must be really pleased. John.

Fay

Thanks John, Delphine. yes i was quite pleased. the snow was about 2' thick & the aurora kept moving around.  it went right across the sky, but was only strong in one place, at a time. 

doug

Terrific images, Fay, especially as you have captured the starfield as well ... the Hyades and Pleiades.  They are a lot better than some of the aurora images I have seen in the "Sky at Night" magazine ... you should definitely submit some of them to that magazine; they should put them on their Hotshots page.

Keep up the good work.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Fay

you are too kind Doug. i did the best i could on the given night, but there are such superior pictures that have been taken, what you get depends on location & the strength of the display

RobertM

Fay,

As usual you are far too modest.  Doug is right though I think you should send one for an APOD - if you don't try..

They are certainly better than most I've seen there so why not give it a go !

Robert

Carole

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Thanks Mike very much. i took 26 pictures but only put 4 on site,

Tony G

Quote from: Fay on Mar 18, 2013, 17:43:42
Thanks Mike very much. i took 26 pictures but only put 4 on site,

Fay,

You haven't been plagiarizing that NASA website again, because when I counted there was 6 images, and if only 4 are yours............who do the others belong too. :o

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

julian

Very nice images Fay

julian