• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DIY flats source

Started by Ivor, Mar 02, 2013, 22:35:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivor

One of my little projects during the absence of decent nights has been building a flats solution, I'm nearly complete but I'm not sure if the light source is both flat or bright enough.

This is the output through my 400D with zoom lens at 50mm, it appear pretty flat in PS but I'm not if this is good enough, please can someone advise?

Carole

What does the histogram look like Ivor?

I don't normally find single flats tell me very much, so I normally check my flats by examining the master flat and stretching it to see if it reveals vignetting and dust particles.

Carole

Ivor

The original histogram looks like this:

I've stretched this image in PS and it looks like this

Is this what I shoulds expect?

MarkS

Hi Ivor,

That is pretty much exactly what I would expect to see.  It shows vignetting and it shows specks of dust.

It looks pretty noisy - I am guessing it is a single flat at a high ISO.  Take lots of flats at a low ISO then stack them together and everything should be good.

Mark

Ivor

Thanks, you are right it was just one sub I wanted to check the design was OK before fixing all the bits down. I will write my design up shortly but at the moment the unit price is under a £5 and it would work with any scope up to 20cm.

I was a little creative with the materials or I wasn't sure how well it would work e.g. the diffuser was one of these:
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256185906

Carole

Love the chopping board. :lol: :lol:

My diffuser for the DSLR costs even less, it's a bit of typing paper made into a lens cap, but the CCD camera's diffuser is opal perspex off fleabay at £6.  But now I have the newt I have to start all over again with a new bigger light box, so I'll watch out for the your cheap design before I do anything as my scope is 20cm. 

Carole