• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Very Slow Response

Started by Fay, Feb 27, 2013, 22:09:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Frequent but intermittent very sluggish (30 seconds or slower) response from forum and main website 07:50 to now...

"503 Service Unavailable " message at 08:21

Hosting company's support site also sluggish. Other sites elsewhere not affected.

Rick

Response times in excess of 20 seconds most of the time between 10:05 and 10:15 this morning. All parts of OAS site affected. Support ticket updated...

Kenny

It's definitely server end. I'm on BT's Infinity broadband... superfast. Still getting slow response this morning. Other websites working fine.

Rick

Intermittent occasions when OAS sites took 30 seconds or more to respond today. Certainly server side. Hosting company say they're monitoring it. I expect the tricky bit is catching it when it's being sluggish long enough to see why.

Rocket Pooch

Hi Rick,

I pointed one of our tools from work at it and its not doing a lot better than 27 seconds upto 59 and timing out.

If you go here https://www.pingdom.com/ you can setup a free monitoring tool which will send you stats on the speed.  We use it at work, its pretty good.  If you go to the tools section you can try the site from different locations and see whats happening, its all server side wait issues.

Chris

MarkS

On intermittent occasions the wait time is less than 30 seconds ...

Rick

For an hour or more around midnight last night the site was essentially inaccessible. One of the draw-backs of a shared hosting service is that activity on other sites on the same shared server (or server farm) can affect us. I'm pretty sure this is what's happening at the moment. A site on the shared server is the target of an attack...

Tony G

Quote from: Rick on Mar 17, 2013, 11:20:19
For an hour or more around midnight last night the site was essentially inaccessible. One of the draw-backs of a shared hosting service is that activity on other sites on the same shared server (or server farm) can affect us. I'm pretty sure this is what's happening at the moment. A site on the shared server is the target of an attack...

Would it also depend if the other sites on this server were sites that were visited very, very frequently, if you know what mean.  :-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rick

Yeah, that would be a problem... :wall: :flame:

Rick

...an email:

Dear Orpington Astronomical Society

At midnight tonight we will performing some changes to your server to resolve the recent performance issues.

The problem has been tracked down to the way MySQL performs on SSDs. At midnight tonight we will be making some changes to the version of MySQL run on this server, however this will involve around 1 hour downtime on the MySQL service while PHP is rebuilt.

We apologise for the recent issues on this server but these changes should bring it back to normal performance levels.

Regards
EZPZ Hosting

Tony G

Well now that I have finely got onto the website .....let alone to the thread I actually wanted to read, is anything going to happen with the server, as every minute is precious to me and the time it is now taking to get onto this site, I will never get back. :!

Tony G (disgruntled)

PS........Let's just hope that this doesn't time me out before it's posted.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

13:29

Got this message when the forum was sulking

Database Error: MySQL server has gone away
File: /home/orpastro/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 1464Database Error: MySQL server has gone away
File: /home/orpastro/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php
Line: 2020
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Fay

Really slow at every move. was wondering about that as well Mark
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rick

Certainly been slow at times today, but other sites have suffered likewise here... :/