• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

First attempt at M42

Started by Ivor, Feb 21, 2013, 13:08:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivor

Suprising in some ways considering the popularity of the target but this is the first time I've tried to capture this. I took the data before Christmas but processed it whilst away on business over the last couple of weeks.

I'm mixed about the final result, there are bits I'm pleased with and other sections I'm not. There's a strange vertical line of darkness to the side of NGC 1973 and I don't feel I've drawn out the white nebula well in the top right corner.

Details
Scope FLT110
Camera ST8300M
Filters RGB

20 x 60s RGB subs
Capture and stacked in AA5
Further processed  in FITS Liberator and CS4

Any suggestions on improvements welcome.

[/url]
m42_RGB_60_SIG---org-mst-crop---bck by running_ivor, on Flickr

RobertM

Hi Ivor,

There's lots to like about that image, especially considering it's only 20 mins of data.  Being critical I would say you're getting a serious amount of coma which looks fairly even so a corrector should sort that out no problem.  The brighter stars have a strange Maltese cross type look to them - have you got anything impinging the light path ?

Robert

Ivor

It's been such a long time since I've processed an image I forgot to get rid of the star coma, I'll have to redo that; Thanks for pointing it out.

I took these subs just before I sent by scope and camera away to be repaired the focuser was slipping and the camera had developed a fault as well so I'm not sure whether that played a part in the star spikes. I will check the all the optics are clear. Equally I didn't have the correct pacer attached to the camera hence the slightly elongated stars in the corners so maybe a combined of all of these?

I now have a replacement focuser from WO and my camera is returned tomorrow I will look to setup the kit and check for blemishes in the optics.

As these aren't new purchases I'm hoping I'll not be cursed with cloudy nights!

MarkS

I'm amazed that anyone has been able to capture as much as 20 minutues of data recently!

It's looking good but to pull out more white nebula I think you'll need more data.  As Robert says, the "Maltese Crosses" indicate some very slight irregularity in the light path.

The black strip down the left hand side is almost certainly a problem with the flats you are using (or your attemptsw at background netralisation).

You've done an excellent job of handling the huge dynamic range from the bright Trapezium down to the faint wispy stuff.

Mark

Ivor

Thanks Mark, I had taken 4 mins subs as well but the data wasn't up to much with the faulty kit. I'll put this on the target list again for next year again.

Carole

There's an amazing amount of detail for the length and number of subs.  I particularly like the contrast of the dark nebula.  There appear to be dark rings around the stars, I would imagine this is a processing artifact. 

An excellent result on the whole for short subs on a challenging object in challenging weather conditions. 

Carole

Mike

Very nice Ivor. A few flaws but they don't really detract too much from the image overall. I'd be pleased with that.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ivor

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Slowly getting there just need some fresh data!!!

julian

I'd be very pleased with that image with just 20 mins of data.

julian

Rocket Pooch

MarkS

Quote from: Rocket Pooch
cooled osc

???

Rocket Pooch