• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Comet PANSTARRS (March 2013)

Started by MarkS, Feb 01, 2013, 07:58:24

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

We may get to see the comet this weekend if the forecasts are correct (groan). I am looking for a suitable site out of London (M20, M2, A21) not too far to take the binos, any suggestions?

The Thing

Quote from: The Thing on Mar 29, 2013, 11:22:33
We may get to see the comet this weekend if the forecasts are correct (groan). I am looking for a suitable site out of London (M20, M2, A21) not too far to take the binos, any suggestions?
I have been Googling around and think the recreation ground at Otford ('Solar Model') may be a good spot as it's flat with a good horizon to the north west. I've not been there so any thoughts from those that have?

Fay

I would wander around to this sports field, around the corner, where i was lurking the other week, to no avail, but would take binos next time. looks a good west
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Quote from: Fay on Mar 29, 2013, 15:03:35
I would wander around to this sports field, around the corner, where i was lurking the other week, to no avail, but would take binos next time. looks a good west

There were reports in the news shopper about someone lurking in that vicinity.  I wouldn't go back for a while if I were you as the police might be waiting  :lol:

I'm also going to try to get out to see the comet but as you say Duncan, it's choosing the right spot and without looking like you should be arrested !

Robert

mickw

With the fantastic skies I am getting down here, I think we should all wait for it to come out on video  :!

Clear skies are only in your dreams  :(
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

I'm in otford car park and its lokking hopeful!

The Thing

RobertM

Well done !  Cloudy as hell in Orpington :(

Fay

Well done Duncan..kept going outside but thick cloud!!!!!

The Thing

It did cloud over pretty quickly, the comet was at 20deg elevation when I started looking and 14 when the clouds rolled in, I had about 25 minutes observing. I could see both tails with my 20x80 bins.

That recreation ground is a good place for sunset related observing (Mercury, Venus etc.) with a clear horizon down to about 5deg and it was quite a dark site. No good for deep sky observing as there are houses that back onto the field on one side, a car park with associated intermittent headlights and some t055er with a flood light in the south south west that just catches your eye. That gate doesn't appear to be lockable and is low so access is easy.

Fay

thats handy to know Duncan. did you see it at sunset? or later. i wanted to see where Andromeda/Cass were, for my bearings, but too many clouds

RobertM

Might go down tonight if the cloud situation improves.

Where exactly is the CP in Otford ?

The Thing

RobertM

Thanks, that's what I thought :)

Fay