• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Comet PANSTARRS (March 2013)

Started by MarkS, Feb 01, 2013, 07:58:24

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

I am planning to do extensive cloud imaging shortly after sunset during those weeks.  I'll be very upset if there are no clouds to photograph  ;-)

Rick

[BAA-ebulletin 00732] First reported UK observations of C/2011 L4 (PanSTARRS)
(c) 2012 British Astronomical Association    http://www.britastro.org/

On March 12 we received the first UK observations of this comet. It was visible very low down in the west along with the thin crescent Moon which was less than one day old.

So far we have received positive observations from James Abott (Witham, Essex), Ian Sharp (Selsey, Sussex) and Dennis Boon. The comet was not visible with the naked eye but it was clearly seen using binoculars.

I've updated the BAA blog with details:

http://britastro.org/blog/?p=1168

Tonight the Sun sets at an azimuth of around 266 deg just before 6pm. An hour later the comet will be at an azimuth of 272 deg and around 4 deg above the horizon. The 2 day old crescent Moon will be much higher and slightly to the left (270 deg azimuth, 11 deg above the horizon).

The comet is not spectacular and you will need a pair of binoculars to find it but it is quite unusual to see a comet in the bright twilight so it is worth making an effort if the weather cooperates.

Please send any observations to cometobs at britastro org.

Nick James.

Carole

I had what should have been a very clear view of it last night whilst waiting in the queue for the ferry at Fishbourne IOW.  However try as I might I could not see it, I don't think it's a naked eye object and I didn't have binoculars with me to my shame. 

Annoyingly I had my astro kit in the car but wasn't sure how soon they were going to usher us onto the Ferry.

Carole

Mike

it is currently Mag 0.7 so should easily be visible with the naked eye.

However, I don't think it is particularly diffuse and the tail is rather dim so it will probably look more like a star with the naked eye. Hence a pair of binos would more than likely be the best thing to use.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

I've been reading threads on other forums, and it does look very faint, and most people can only spot it with binoculars and even then found it difficult.  If only I had had bins with me last night, probably won't get another chance.

Carole

Rick

Yesterday's APOD was a cool view: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130315.html

Today's isn't bad either, even if it does feature trees: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130316.html

MarkS

APOD says this today:  "As Comet PANSTARRS fades, careful observers -- even with unaided eyes -- should still be able to find the shedding ice ball on the western horizon just after sunset."

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130318.html

Already fading and we haven't had a single opportunity to see it :-(

Question for today:  is the UK the worst place on Earth for astronomy?  Or is there somewhere worse?

mickw

Nope can't think of anywhere worse  :(

But the forecast  :lol: is only for "partial cloud" on Wednesday and Saturday nights, it will however be raining all day  :roll:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

mickw

In case nobody noticed, there is a good chance of a sighting this evening.
There are some clouds but there is quite a big blue bit following the setting sun.

Desperately trying to find tripod and cable release

Enjoy  :D

Mike

As usual, there is a great long stripe of clouds right where the comet is  :!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Yep, did seem promising - tried to spot it - failed  :-?

Moon is pretty though   :oops:

MarkS

Saw it!!

At 19:20 a few degrees above the horizon and with a short tail pointing vertically upwards.  A gap in the cloud appeared in just the right place and I found it in binos - very faint aginst the murk.  Definitely not a naked eye object - at least not tonight.

mickw

Mac

It was crystal clear tonight on the south downs, except for the bit above the horizon,
which was cloudy, didnt see anything.  :cry:

Ho well there is still tomorrow,

Mac.

The Thing

Not a hope in Beckenham. I even went into Beckenham Place Park and up the top of the hill in the twilight and the mud of countless dog walkers trails but all I could see was murk, Crystal Palace mast and the stadium floodlights.

Next clearish evening I will get in the car and head out of town.