• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Comet PANSTARRS (March 2013)

Started by MarkS, Feb 01, 2013, 07:58:24

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

I made reference to this in another thread but thought it deserved it's own so it can be found easily.

This shows where to look for the comet on various days:
http://waitingforison.wordpress.com/comet-panstarrs/

Whether or not it will achieve naked eye brightness remains to be seen.

The Thing

This should be visible in a week or so. I won't see anything from Beckenham and am thinking of taking a trip to Salisbury Plain (flat, easy to get to) either 10th or 17th weekends.

Brades Acre Campsite is close to Stonehenge/A303 and has a field that is open to the west (where the comet will be just after sunset). Anyone else interested? I have emailed them to see if they are open.

Alternatively, Mick's back garden faces west...

Rocket Pooch

You don't need to go that far Seaford has a campsite smack on the beach and it faces west with nothing for about 40 miles.  Also it has a huge club house on site and 30 yards from fishing on the beach.

Mike

I'd be up for either of those weekends.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

How west does it need to be? (Trying to work out potential view from my place). 

The Thing

The comet will be near where the sun sets and the core will be a few degrees off the horizon with the tail rising into the night (we hope!).

MarkS

I've answered my own question using "The Sky" and PaintShopPro:

It shows the position at sunset on each day in March.  But, of course, it slides down and right after sunset!

Tony G

But this is what we'll actually see. :!

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

RobertM

Looks uncannily like flocks of flying sheep to me Tony ;)

I might catch a glimpse of the comet in Malta next weekend, that is, if the clouds don't follow me there !

Robert

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Tony G on Mar 02, 2013, 08:37:58

Tony G

Wow you can see clouds at night, should they not be ORANGE!

MarkS

Quote from: Tony G

:D :D :D :D

Carole

As some of you know I am off the the Isle of Wight star party on Thursday 7th.  The trip was supposed to be only until 11th, but sadly now I also have to go to the funeral of my Aunt on the IOW which is on 13th, so my trip is extended by a few days. 

Although I won't be staying at the Astro camp for the extra days, if it's clear I will go back on 12th to the campsite as it's nice and dark and westerly facing, and see if I can get to see/image Panstarrs. 

Just seen a pig fly past the window.

Carole

Mac

I'll probably just go to the south downs, and have a look from there,
Nice and dark, and only 5 mins away.

Mac.

The Thing

Quote from: Rocket Pooch on Mar 01, 2013, 18:24:06
You don't need to go that far Seaford has a campsite smack on the beach and it faces west with nothing for about 40 miles.  Also it has a huge club house on site and 30 yards from fishing on the beach.
Looks OK if it's the Buckle place. A bit close to civilisation and the ferry terminal so I presume it can't be considered a dark site(???). But it maybe great for targets to the south and west and must be heaps better than Beckenham.

Looking at the comet track and dates I think the weekend of the 17th is the best bet so I am going to plan on then unless Flossie is floating around the sky with 100000 of her chums looking for Tony.

mickw

The weather gods are taunting us again................

The couple of clear nights we've had are being followed by cloud just as the comet peeks above the horizon  :!
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional