• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hello Astronomers

Started by MikePS, Oct 15, 2012, 16:51:24

Previous topic - Next topic

MikePS

Hello everyone,
I have joined the forum with a view to maybe later joining the OAS.
I live in Crystal Palace which may be a bit of a journey, but having looked at the website I think it may be worth it.
My Astronomy experience amounts to about 18 months of telescope ownership. Starting with a SW Startravel 102 on AZ goto mount.
In no time at all I had moved to an ED80, Mak127,EQ5 Synscan, LX modified webcam. I am now trying to get my head around guiding using the finderscope with  webcam at the same time as trying to image DSO's with a Mammut LYUBA L429 CCD.
I don't have many images as I not only suffer clouds like the rest of us but my work shift pattern working at a Croydon school also gets in the way.
(also I need to spend a lot more time improving and learning imaging techniques).

Hope to have some chat and possibly meet at some point.

Mike

mickw

Welcome Mike, hope you enjoy yourself on the forum.
If you hadn't noticed, click on the banner above and you can find the date and times of our meetings at High Elms.

I see you soon got hooked on a spending frenzy, unfortunately coming on here, you will likely be tempted to indulge in another one  ;)

It used to take 1/2 hour to drive from Dulwich to High Elms.
Really not trying to chase you away but do you know there's an astronomy group in Croydon ?
http://croydonastro.org.uk/
We are much better though  :D
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Welcome Mike.  I have a feeling we might have "met" before on another Astro-forum.

Yes this is the best place to spend all your money on astrokit, lots of good advice and help and we regularly go to Astro camps where there are dark skies.

Hope to see you at a meeting soon, unfortunately I won't be at the next one.

Carole

MikePS

Hello Mick
I looked at Croydon Astro and thought that OAS looked a bit more relaxed and welcoming. I am interested in the meetings and hopefully attending the Astro Camps as I have been struggling along on my own and feel that meeting like minded people can only improve my imaging.

Hi Carole
Yes I am sure we have as you put it "Met" on other sites. Hope to meet in person at some time.

The Mega spend is over for a while, to keep the better half happy I now have to take her on a holiday to California or she will set fire to my telescopes  :lol:

JohnP

Yep welcome from me also Mike. John

MarkS

Welcome Mike.

I've got to be honest, I've never heard of the Mammut LYUBA L429 CCD.  But since it features the excellent Sony ICX429 chip, it can't be bad.

See you around some time.

Mark

MikePS

Quote from: MarkS on Oct 15, 2012, 20:08:20
Welcome Mike.

I've got to be honest, I've never heard of the Mammut LYUBA L429 CCD.  But since it features the excellent Sony ICX429 chip, it can't be bad.

See you around some time.

Mark
Its sold by Bern at modern astronomy.
http://www.modernastronomy.com/camerasGuider.html#mammutt
Its an entry level CCD for guiding or DSO imaging. Cant give it a review yet as I'm still working out the setup.

doug

Welcome to you, Mike, and when you have the time do come along to one of our meetings, it would be nice to meet you.  There are a lot of very well informed and helpful "imagers" in the OAS and I`m sure they will be able to advise you with any problems you may have, if you have any.....

So come and say hello.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...