• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Setting up autoguiding equipment!

Started by Kylee, Nov 19, 2012, 21:13:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylee

Kylee

Hey Mike

Just been looking at Metaguide...it says it doesn't support modified webcams! I've got the Phillips that has been pre-flashed, do you think it includes that?

Kylee

Quote from: The Thing on Nov 21, 2012, 18:03:05
I can always find a guide star with my QHY5 and finderscope setup. Flocking the finderscope improved the contrast and made all the difference.
What is flocking the finderscope?

Ian

hmm, might need to tune the profanity filter.

That should read "What Is fl*cking the finderscope?" Apologies to anyone offended by Kylee's use of that word.

Mike

Kylee, modded means the webcam has been modified for long exposures. Yours hasn't so should be fine.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

Quote from: Kylee on Nov 21, 2012, 22:58:01
Quote from: The Thing on Nov 21, 2012, 18:03:05
I can always find a guide star with my QHY5 and finderscope setup. Flocking the finderscope improved the contrast and made all the difference.
What is flocking the finderscope?

Practically it means lining the inside of the OTA tube with something blacker than than the paint the manufacturer used, which often isn't as light absorbing as one would. It improves the contrast by cutting out more light which would have been reflected down the tube making the background light level higher than it should be on the CCD. I used some black material that was part of some CD filing sleeves I had to line the inside of my finderscope. Often done to main scopes as well.

Notice the shine of the CCD on the left hand picture below.