• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter 5 Nov 2012

Started by MarkS, Nov 06, 2012, 00:07:59

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

The trick was to put a white paper disk with a thick black line drawn on it on the end of a slow running drill.

Anyway, the upshot was that using VirtualDub with the SPC900 and setting the shutter speed to its slowest setting then at 15fps the exposure time is actually 1/15sec - verified by recording the spinning disc.

For the DBK21AU04 with ICCapture it is important to manually set the exposure time and not let it go to auto.  Doing this it is possible to set an exposure of 1/15sec at 15fps and 1/30sec at 30fps - again verified by recording the spinning disc.

Unfortunately, when I took this Jupiter image, I had the exposure set to auto (I know this because I deliverately saved the configuration to use next time), so I've no idea what exposure speed it actually selected.  

Mark

MarkS

Here's another from slightly later that night:

1000 frames stacked in AutoStakkert.  It's my first attempt with AutoStakkert (I can't yet bring myself to use that awful exclamation mark in the name) - it certainly seems to be easier (and faster!) to get a good result in AutoStakkert.  I'll probably use it in preference to Registax and Avistack from now on.  It's a bit quirky to use though - best to use the Jerry Lodriguss tutorial:
http://www.astrokraai.nl/software/manual/as2_planet.html

I imported the TIF into Registax for the post stack processing (RGB alignment and wavelets).

Mark