• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC October

Started by Carole, Oct 06, 2012, 14:17:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

your legs look good in your avatar Julian..............
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JonH

Let me just check to see if I got this right, if Fay was going to go but now decides she won't are we to expect some of the clearest nights ever?  :cheesy:
Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops!

The Thing

Quote from: JonH on Oct 11, 2012, 17:13:21
Let me just check to see if I got this right, if Fay was going to go but now decides she won't are we to expect some of the clearest nights ever?  :cheesy:
Spot on, but Fay has to have started packing her car with scopes and gear and them unpacked it or it won't count as a proper astro sacrifice. :cheesy: :cheesy:

RobertM

Duncan, I think she has to have actually setup, given up and gone to bed for the rain gods to go away - well that's the way it seems to have worked best in the past (sorry Fay).

Julian, I'm very sorry to hear of your accident.  I hope you're not in too much discomfort though it sounds very painful to me.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery !

Robert

Mike

Sorry to hear that Julian. We hope you get well soon and also hope your bike isn't too mashed up (or at least you had fully comp. insurance).
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Not sure that Fay's sacrifice is working - 3 out of 4 forecasts now show cloud and rain for Friday night :-(

Mike

Message from Jackie this morning....

"Dear Mike,

As you might imagine the field is quite wet after the recent rain.

The top corner is not too bad if you pitch well away from the boundary.(we can always lend extension cables if necessary). We are extremely quiet so no need for your guys to book if they wish to come but please can they stop at Reception and let the Caretaker know they are on site.

Many thanks
Jackie"

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JonH

I'm starting to wonder if it will be worth the effort.
A majority of forecasts say it will be wet and cloudy.
If anything it now looks like Saturday night will be the best and even then not very good....

MarkS

I'm having second thoughts also ...

The Thing

I'm going to decide at midday. The forecasts keep changing.

MarkS

The forecast keeps changing because there are a random load of clear bits, windy bits, calm bits, cloudy bits, rainy bits and heavy rainy bits all heading towards us in no particular order.

No forecaster can make sense of that ...

JonH

Which to me loosely translates into they don't know what the weather will be like because it keeps changing and will continue to do so.
Thus the best conditions to be expected will be patchy.

Rick

There's been a fair bit of rain the last couple of nights. Might it be worth checking the camp site's ground conditions again?

Carole

Was thinking of going on Saturday, but this puts me off
QuoteAs you might imagine the field is quite wet after the recent rain.

Also if no-one else is going I think I might stay home and if it's clear have another go at narrowband.

Carole

Fay

well even if the weather changes a bit for the better, the ground will still be awful, and rain on sunday, for packing up.

I will be out back as well, if we get a few hours
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!