• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

guide camera

Started by Fay, Sep 27, 2012, 12:20:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

any advice on the best guide camera? thanks.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

I use a QHY5 and I'm very happy with it.

RobertM

I've used a few including a Meade DSI, QHY5, Atik 16ic and Lodestar and I have to say that in my opinion the latter is the best of those for guiding.  The only downside is the naff guiding cable connector but you can either buy a plastic clip or cobble something up yourself if you do use a guide that way.  For myself I guide from the PC thought the mount so that's not an issue.  The Atik 16ic would be the best but needs cooler power and has slowish downloads plus its a lot bigger.

The worst have been the Meade and QHY5 by a long way, you will get several orders of magnitude more guide stars with the other two.  With the lodestar I can quite often see the target I'm imaging in a 5-10 second exposure with 50mm finder guider.

Hope that helps
Robert

PS. Shouldn't this be in technical ?

Mike

I have a QHY5 and it is not very sensitive. I would also go with the Lodestar for my next choice.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Carole

Fay I have been using a QHY5 and had no problems with it at all since I sorted out the calibration steps in PHD a long time ago.  I very rarely have to adjust the guide screws to find a guide star.

Carole

Mike

Its decent for its price Carole but lacks sensitivity. You need a farily decent guide scope aperture to get anything out of it.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Well I still use my self-modified webcam from like 10 years ago. I also now have my excellent little Atik 16ic that I plan to use since I bought the 314 off Carole but haven't got round to trying it out as a guide cam yet. I would suggest if you could pick up a used 16ic for not too much you wouldn't go far wrong.

John

Fay

Thanks. i am going to try out the DMK today, cant see why it would not be suitable as I used to use the Toucam modified webcam ok, but that has serial connector. DMK is straight into USB.

Rocket Pooch

Don't you have an StarLight express camera knocking about somewhere?

Fay

yes i am using that, but would like to eliminate the brick & power cable. a contribution to tidying up my cables!!!!!!! :roll:

Rocket Pooch

Oh ok, well QHY6 or Loadstar they are super sensitive and small, no issues with software with either.  If you do that I'll buy your SE off you.

Chris